Author Topic: Death from poisoning resulting from natural causes  (Read 2679 times)

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death from poisoning resulting from natural causes
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 January 19 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Having gone through this myself, it's a blocked or a none working intestine. I had a severe case of gastroenteritis which stopped the natural movement of my intestines.

Green vomit is fecal matter escaping the only way it can.

I was given medicine to allow my intestines to start to work. A blockage perhaps would require an operation and in those days  :o
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 January 19 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Having gone through this myself, it's a blocked or a none working intestine. I had a severe case of gastroenteritis which stopped the natural movement of my intestines.

Green vomit is fecal matter escaping the only way it can.

I was given medicine to allow my intestines to start to work. A blockage perhaps would require an operation and in those days  :o

How awful !

Thanks for sharing.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 January 19 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your input.  I didn't get any emails about replies, so I have only just seen these answers.

The area is rural, but there was a steelworks in the bottom of the valley
She was ill at school at midday, died the next
She'd always been a "weak" child apparently.

They opened her stomach but did not find a cause of death.  But in 1877, how likely was that?  It's perfectly possible she did eat something.  It was in May, by the way.

I think the newspapers over-played it, as they do today, with lurid headlines about poisoning.

Thanks again

Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 January 19 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Even Carbon Monoxide poisoning from gas lights or a range might have been the cause.

Skoosh.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 January 19 08:34 GMT (UK) »
I note the reply from Medpat which sounds most likely, (and horrible).

For interest the following lists the signs of arsenic poisoning.....

In Victorian times green dye became hugely popular; known as emerald green, it was arsenic which made the colour so bright.  Used extensively, not only for clothing and gloves, but also for wallpapers and carpets, "the effects of arsenic exposure are horrific. In addition to being deadly, it produces ulcers all over the skin. Those who come in close contact with it might develop scabs and sores wherever it touched. It can also make your hair fall out, and can cause people to vomit blood before shutting down their livers and kidneys."  :'(
(https://www.racked.com/2017/3/17/14914840/green-dye-history-death)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 January 19 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Green wallpaper supposedly killed Napoleon.  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 January 19 09:19 GMT (UK) »
True Skoosh,it was pretty damp on the island and that sort of activated the
arsenic.
 MY Mum had a brooch ,about one and a half inches long,it looked like ivory ,and was tooth shaped,a big tooth .
A bit like scrimshaw,the carving and darkening with pigments on bone . I think it was done by sailors,especially whalers.
It said on it St. Helena.
Where it came from ,no idea,pretty ugly and to my knowledge never worn.
Can not imagine Mum ever going there.
Viktoria.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 January 19 17:04 GMT (UK) »
I have a 17-year old in a rural district who in 1788 is described as being "Casually poisoned".

It's only when the brain kicks into gear that you realise that the language has changed, and these days we would say "Accidentally".

A baby in the same village a few years later died from "St. Anthony's Fire" - ergot poisoning. Ergot is a mould which grows on old grain.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 13 January 19 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Fly Agaric,the pretty but deadly red with white patches toadstool is deadly.

You're not alone in believing this, but it's far from true. It is mildly poisonous, but hardly anyone has ever died from eating it. If cooked properly, it can be (and often is) eaten, and has hallucinogenic properties similar to LSD.

From memory, a fatal dose would be somewhere around 50 fly agaric mushrooms.