Author Topic: Death from poisoning resulting from natural causes  (Read 2682 times)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Death from poisoning resulting from natural causes
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 13 January 19 20:43 GMT (UK) »
There isn't any question that the individual in my tree [Claude Beckett] died of mushroom poisoning in 1927.  The mushrooms were gathered and the death occurred in Orange County, California.  Several members of the family were sickened but Claude had eaten the most.  He agonized in the hospital and finally died after eleven days.  It was a terrible, lingering death.  A newspaper article identified the mushrooms as "Amanitae Americanus" but who made that id is unknown and what species of Amanita was really involved is also unknown, possibly Amanita ocreata which is known to be seriously poisonous. 
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 13 January 19 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Just to add to this, I have also come across references to "ptomaine poisoning".  After some research, I discovered that it was thought that ptomaines, found in decaying animal and vegetable matter, had a serious and sometimes fatal effect on the body when ingested.  We now know that food poisoning is due to the action of bacteria such as salmonella and e-coli.  But again, the newspapers scandalised the event as if it had been deliberate.  This was later, 1903. 
The Inquest found that there was no poison in the house but, as has been mentioned, there was lead paint, arsenic, etc.  The girl had apparently always been a sickly child so it's possible there was a serious health condition.  Or she could have eaten something on her way to school. 
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 04 February 19 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Thought you might like to read this article. I was luckier when my husband telephone for advice and mentioned green vomit he was told to get me to hospital immediately and was met by a triage nurse

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6666473/Boy-six-died-treatable-condition-string-red-flags-missed-NHS-111-helpline.html
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 04 February 19 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Fly Agaric,the pretty but deadly red with white patches toadstool is deadly.

You're not alone in believing this, but it's far from true. It is mildly poisonous, but hardly anyone has ever died from eating it. If cooked properly, it can be (and often is) eaten, and has hallucinogenic properties similar to LSD.

From memory, a fatal dose would be somewhere around 50 fly agaric mushrooms.
It has the skull and crossbones symbol in my toadstool book,denoting it is poisonous,but the description also states it is hallucinogenic,in small amounts and known as The Sacred Mushroom in folklore.
I wonder if Gettafix used it ifor the magic potion which made the Gauls in the Asterix comics invincible, but of course they could not put that in print in a comic.  ;D
Viktoria.

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Thought you might like to read this article. I was luckier when my husband telephone for advice and mentioned green vomit he was told to get me to hospital immediately and was met by a triache nurse

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6666473/Boy-six-died-treatable-condition-string-red-flags-missed-NHS-111-helpline.html

A very tragic tale, so sad.  It does sound like this could be the cause of death for the young girl.  They concentrated on the stomach contents, nothing was mentioned about further examination.  You were indeed lucky.
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)