Author Topic: Surname Claney/Clanney/Clanny  (Read 155 times)

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Surname Claney/Clanney/Clanny
« on: Saturday 12 January 19 02:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

An ancestor went by the name of Jane Clanney, born in Bangor to father William.
Either the name died out or absolutely everyone left for other countries because I cannot find this surname in Down in the 1901 and 1911 Census.
I have looked at Ros Davies' Surname page and she has listings for Claney, Clanney, and Clanny.
Do you think that over time they have all become Claney, the one that did survive to be in the 1901 and 1911 census.
Thank you for any suggestions.
Regards
Jean
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online hallmark

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Surname Claney/Clanney/Clanny
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 January 19 06:01 GMT (UK) »
There are some on 1901 Census  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01n8p/

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online hallmark

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 January 19 06:05 GMT (UK) »

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 January 19 06:22 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Hallmark none of them are Clanney or Clanny.

I must go and see if I can pick up any of those spellings in the Online White Pages.

Perhaps I can regard all three spellings as the same family.

Jean
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Online hallmark

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 January 19 06:32 GMT (UK) »
You have  Claney/Clanney/Clanny   as the Subject of your post!

Why put Claney in if you don't want them?

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 January 19 10:42 GMT (UK) »
They are probably all the same name, spelled differently. People spelled things the way they sounded. Try my ancestors: Rourke, Rourk, Rorke, etc., never mind the O' in front of it.

I read that in the US, surname spelling didn't stablize until the Social Security Act of 1937. I don't know what the case was in the UK or Ireland.
Cambridgeshire: Billups, Cropley; Derbyshire: Jenkinson, Gratton; Co Down: O'Rourke, Rodgers, Cunningham

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 January 19 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Caney, Clanney, Clanny will all be variations of the same surname and there are probably other ones.

Many people are now ex-directory (not listed in the telephone directory) or no longer have a house phone. Even if you do find someone with the same spelling it's probably not k]likely to connect with your ancestor who married in 1851.

I have managed to answer my own question.
Peter Fawcett married Jane Clanney 13 February 1851 at Saintfield.
A fortnight later they were on the "Steadfast" to start a new life in New Zealand.
Jean

What is the bride's residence on the marriage certificate?
Please do NOT ask for lookups by Personal Message.

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 January 19 03:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you oldohiohome and aghadowey,

I had been looking at Ros Davies' website and wondered if my Jane Clanney had any relations among the three variations of the surname she has listed.
Somehow I have managed to put people's backs up - I apologise for whatever I have said that upset you.

aghadowey - Jane was a servant at Saintfield House

Thank You
Jean

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 January 19 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean, thanks to ros davies townland maps of Bangor parish I can see where many of the Claney lived.  it seems to me the spelling variations are normal for the earliest times the two Bangor individuals beingbeing William Reid Clanny (1776 –1850) and  Patrick Clancy (1776?-1832) both left ulster Sources The Journal of Bangor Historical Society, Volume 3 (1984-1985) 68p  article ‘William Reid Clanny, the inventor of the Miner's Safety Lamp (1776 –1850)’ and Ros Davies website Patrick Clancy, after looking at the Claney handwriting for Bangor entries in the census, I see how easy it is to transcribe it as Clancy or viceversa   NB Patrick Clancy died in a Belfast hospital Could this Belfast hospital be Belfast, Maine. a city in Waldo County, Maine, in the United States., or Belfast a town in Allegany County, New York, I noted . I noted Clancy turning up in Comber as well as Claney
strenghing my belief there were two lines of Claney in Down ie Bangor and Comber about 10-12 miles apart

Starting with nearly current Claney in the civil parish  area of Bangor inc Groomsport.
1970 the Claneys are still there, at least 6 households existed look up 2nd row of images, then choose last opening  I leave you to make notes of the possible living in http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/BangorSpectatorDirectory1970.htm#NAMES
[earlier editions 1951, 1968-1969, at Linenhall Library, Belfast] more willvexist at major NI libraries
while at lennonwylie have you searched ‘claney site:http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk’
ros davies entry for Miss Jane CLANNEY Saintfield daughter of William Clanney ; married Peter Fawcett 13 Feb 1851CR  son of   You add Jane was a servant in Saintfield House but don’t claim her as your missing link    The Saintfield marriage Ros Davies expands Peters father Anthony as being a publican suffering a burglary in his Saintfield house 29 Nov 1856 DR having a reception in your fatherinlaws house seems a good deal.

For some reason eventually the penny dropped re the Price connection to Saintfield house. You will know all about the family http://lordbelmontinnorthernireland.blogspot.com/2014/03/saintfield-house.html

I don’t think you mention dates for Jane. I looked at https://www.ancestryireland.com/  This is part of the Ulster Historical Foundation. the website is generous in allowing us to see indexs of birth, marriages, and deaths  but have no Jane daughter of William in births
DEATHS in https://www.ancestryireland.com/ entries under Claney,Clanney co down 1801 with a Jane Clanney dying in 1815
MARRIAGES    with most fathers names but anywhere in Co Down
IRISH BIRTH/BAPTISM with most fathers names but anywhere in Co Down

Combining all your resources should reveal that most of Bangor Claney can be connected together which might allow missing persons to become visible. Those resources are the answers you have had here, including clues like Hallmarks           Jane Claney the widow motherinlaw1911 the widow and entered same family in 1901 as   1901
Clancy   Jane   68   Female   Mother in Law   Presbyterian   Co Down   -   Read and write   -   Widow   -
Clancy   Jane   34   Female   Sister in Law   Presbyterian   Belfast   Dress Maker   Read and write   

The ancestryireland  items, Ros Davies, the census including
1911  4 in Ballycroghan (Bangor, Down) Robert etc;   1911 61 in Ballymagee Street (Bangor, Down) Lizzie etc; 1911  70 in Ballymagee Street (Bangor, Down)
Maria   ;1911    74 in Ballymagee Street (Bangor, Down) John etc; 1901 3 in Bangor Bog (Bangor, Down) Patrichas/had a Ritchie mother-1901  2 in Orlock (Bangor, Down) James has neice Elliott  1901 8 in Groomesport (Bangor, Down) not there in 1911
Eliza   the Grocer

The 1860s Griffiths Valuation at askaboutireland which has continuation books at PRONI
Claney      Ross   Ballygrainey   Bangor   Down 1860s GV
Claney        John   Orlock   Bangor      Down 1860s GV
[the north east corner of Co Down
Claney    John   Ballyminetragh   Bangor   Down 1860s GV
Claney    John   Ballycroghan      Bangor   Down 1860s GV
Claney      Henry   Balloo, Lower   Bangor 1860s GV
[eastwards  just before Orlock

Newtownards keep a note
Claney   John   Corporation, South   Newtownards   Down

1823-1837 Tithes Applotment Books
based upon the index work of the Irish Genealogy Hub’s listing for each parish in Northern Ireland, which are quicker to lookup if you know the parish! The relevant original books are in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) Belfast. Sadly there is no record of Bangor civil parish being ever listed. items of further possible interest include
Clanny, John-Townland: Ballystockard Year: 1835-Comber-Down
Clancy, Samuel-Townland: Ballycreely Year: 1835-Comber-Down
Clanney, Eliza.-Townland: Ballydunkillmuck Year: 1830-Drumbeg-Antrim & Down
Clanney, Eliza.-Townland: Ballydunkillmuck Year: 1830-Drumbeg-Down
Clanney, William-Townland: Leverogue Year: 1829-Drumbo-Down

How sure are you Janes fathers name is correct as William

you could exhaust ‘claney site:http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk’
church records exist at http://www.rosdavies.com/CHURCHES/A-I.htm#Bangor
good luck onwards researching from New Zealand

Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide