Author Topic: Laversuch/Loversuch baptisms Houghton Regis, 1866  (Read 882 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Laversuch/Loversuch baptisms Houghton Regis, 1866
« on: Saturday 12 January 19 06:11 GMT (UK) »
Has anybody got access to Houghton Regis baptisms for 1866?

Transcribed as Loversuch, but thought to be Laversuch, John and Thomas, parents John and Mary, baptised 22 May 1866 (from England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975)

John was born in 1857, Thomas in 1865.  If it's the family I'm thinking of John Laversuch senior was a railway labourer, but I didn't know the family were in Bedfordshire at that time.

Thanks in advance, Margaret

STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Laversuch/Loversuch baptisms Houghton Regis, 1866
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 January 19 06:28 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Laversuch was registered 1865 at Towcester mothers maiden name Newman

John Laversuch was registered Wirrel 1857 mothers maiden name Newman

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 January 19 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Mary Jane Loversuch baptized 22 May 1866 Houghton Regis
(born 12 September 1857 she was actually born 1859 registered in Wirrall the same as John 1857). Parents John and Mary
I think whoever transcribed it put John's birth date for both of them.

Eliza Loversuch baptized 22 May 1866 Houghton Regis born 11 January 1863 her birth was registered 1862 so one year off.

Their first child James 1851 registered Banbury was baptized as James Daniel Laversuch 27 June 1852 at Middleton Cheney parents John and Mary, father railway labourer, residence Birmingham.

ADDED
Also baptized the same day 22 May 1866 at Houghton Regis were Elizabeth, Jane and Fanny.

Daughter Frances registered 1853 could be Francisca baptized 8 May 1868 Sheffield Yorkshire parents Joannis and Maria Laversuch, which would mean she was baptized twice.

So you are missing William 1868 reg Sheffield, Ellen 1871 reg Radford, Emma 1872 reg Sedburgh.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 January 19 07:53 GMT (UK) »
amondg, Thanks for your reply. I already have several children born to John Laversuch and Mary Newman.

Today, whilst browsing, found the baptism of John jnr at Houghton Regis, on the same day as another previously unknown Laversuch child, Thomas. Quick check of GRO appeared to indicate that Thomas was indeed born Towcester, 1865.

I have since found that he died in 1868, registered Ecclesall Bierlow. The family had moved onto Sheffield later that year, where another son, William, was born.

My great grandmother, Mary Jane Laversuch, was born 30 Oct 1859 in Birkenhead, she was baptised in Beeley, Derbyshire, 6 Feb 1861, I missed her and Eliza (born 11 Jan 1862)  at Houghton Regis as well. The family were on the move constantly, I missed out on Thomas until today.

Not strange to baptize several children together, especially when constantly on the move, but perhaps strange to baptize Mary Jane twice.

I hope someone has access to the original registers, to confirm details.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 January 19 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Just saw your additions, missed all the others, because I wasn't expecting them!

Fanny and Mary Jane both baptised twice then, the boys and other girls only once.

There were 11 children in total, from census and GRO records, but all born before 1866 bar James Daniel were baptised in Houghton Regis.

Thank you for pointing out the others to me.

Regards Margaret