Author Topic: SWEDEN:Surname LAKE  (Read 128 times)

Offline xanthe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SWEDEN:Surname LAKE
« on: Saturday 12 January 19 10:33 GMT (UK) »
I am part of a project researching the English surname LAKE. I am aware of quite a lot of LAKEs in Sweden in the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries. I wondered if a native Swedish person could tell me whether this name sounds foreign to a Swede (i.e. do you immediately think there must be English ancestry somewhere?), or is it also a native Swedish name? If the latter, what does the word mean and how do you pronounce it?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SWEDEN:Surname LAKE
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 January 19 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I took a look in a database and between 1860 and 1940 I got over 1000 hits for Lake.
Lake is loosely pronounced "Larkeh".

I don't know anyone with the surname Lake myself but it is an old Swedish name. Soldiers were also given the name Lake.
There is a fish called Lake - Burbot in English.
Brine is called "lake" in Swedish.

Ian

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 January 19 12:16 GMT (UK) »
The soldier's name Lake appparently came from for example a place called Laknäs:

Kjäll från Källtorp, Häll från Hälla, Lake från Laknäs, Biskop från Biskopsbyn, osv.

Taken from:
https://wiki.genealogi.se/index.php/Soldatnamn - (in Swedish)

Ian

Offline xanthe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian,
Thanks for that. It gives me a start. I'll try to read up some more about these soldiers' names. On the face of it though, it looks as if there is probably no connection with the various English lines of LAKEs.

Xanthe

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 January 19 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Cheers and probably not.

Ian