Author Topic: Surprised at differences in DNA Matches between siblings  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Surprised at differences in DNA Matches between siblings
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 January 19 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that info, Ayashi. 

It explains a lot and confirms my suspicions. I remember, when I first got my results, the 4-6 or closer matches'  total shot up quite rapidly. Now, it's a max of 5 a week but still quite a lot of distants.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 January 19 22:48 GMT (UK) »
It only takes the ripoff banks a few days to transfer some funds.  What does Ancestry do for 30 days?

Martin

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 January 19 03:47 GMT (UK) »
The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, Ayashi.

My response from ancestry with a similar question about flaky surname search just replied that they didn't know why it wasn't working for me. And the 2 people I was contacting them about do now appear in surname search for that name.

Glad that you had a decent, and it would appear correct, reply from them.

Shared matches is possibly the same, but none of my shared matches have changed over time.

I always make notes for 4th to 6th cousins, including the shared matches. It's only when I get new matches that that alters, IYSWIM. Nobody that I have already made a note about has appeared as a shared match at a later date.

But time will tell, there really can't be any other explanation for Gadget's query, can there?

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 January 19 07:45 GMT (UK) »
I can't see any other reason - no problem of parentage that I know of and each of them match long standing matches on that side.

I'm sure now that it's because both have had their results very recently (2 weeks and 1 week, respectively) that is the reason for them not showing.

Gadget

PS - slightly different topic,  but does anyone know if Ancestry are going to install a chromosome browser anytime soon?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 January 19 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Gadget, You ask

'PS - slightly different topic,  but does anyone know if Ancestry are going to install a chromosome browser anytime soon?'

I do know the answer to that one, or at least the position they are taking at present.

http://www.ancestryinsider.org/2017/03/it-keeps-ancestrys-kendall-hulet-up-at.html?m=1

They have no plans to ever provide a chromosome browser.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 January 19 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Margaret, so we will always have to upload our results to other sites then. 

I'm rather bemused by their reasons -  protecting our privacy  :-X

I love this quote:

Kendall said that while lists of matches are great for the family historian, Ancestry wants to make DNA more fun. A lot of people they talk to just want to see a bunch of photographs of cousins to see how much they look alike. “Ultimately, what we want to do is have a more social experience where people can connect to each other,” he said.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 14 January 19 09:01 GMT (UK) »
I've just contacted them about a chromosome browser. I'll report back if I hear anything. Maybe if enough of us did, they might reconsider.

In the meantime, I'll look through my limited collection of family photos  :-X

Fun indeed!

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 19:53 GMT (UK) »
I have recently received a reply from Ancestry to the e-mail I mentioned in my previous post:

Thank you for contacting Ancestry in regards to our Ancestry DNA service. We apologise for the delay in getting back to you and appreciate your patience during your wait.

We already have (at least a form of a) chromosome browser on our website that allows you to do a comparison between one match at a time to see how much DNA your have in common with them! This function is detailed in the following article :  Measuring Relatedness.

If you're referring to a different function to give further information, I'd very much recommend leaving feedback on our site! This feedback is reviewed regularly and has led to changes or new features on our site. Your can do so by following this article :  Providing Feedback About Ancestry

The ' Measuring Relatedness'  referred to is to their help pages on cMs, etc. which we are all aware of.

Gadget