Author Topic: Uniform ID help Please  (Read 1346 times)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform ID help Please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 January 19 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

The spurs do not necessarily mean cavalry. He is an officer and quite senior with the braid on his peak.

I will try and find the IMS shoulder titles.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 January 19 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for your helpful response John, it's very much appreciated  :)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 January 19 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Definitely looks to be the "Indian Medical Service" shoulder title.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IMS-Indian-Medical-Service-Shoulder-Title-Badge-/192213388443

It's a shame you don't have a name, there is a list of officer's here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indian_Medical_Service_officers

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 January 19 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info Frank...it's much appreciated. At least I can put the info with the photo which could help with a lead.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline SiGr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 01:44 BST (UK) »
One thing I note is he has no collar badges.  Regiments that typically do not wear those are Household Division units, i.e. the Household Cavalry and the Foot Guards (Coldstreams, Grenadiers, etc.). Of course, times change so that might have been different in the past. That said, identifying units whose officers did not wear collar badges might help you narrow things down. If he was Guards, the arrangement of buttons would tell you which Regiment - but the IMS suggests he is not Foot Guards. On his rank - you can see a Crown which would indicate a Major. There might be a 'pip' below that in the fold of the fabric, in which case he would be a Lieutenant-Colonel. If he had two 'pips' he would be a Colonel - but as he has no gorget patches on his collar that means he is not, so he is either a Major or a Lieutenant-Colonel. On the spurs, 'Field Officers' (i.e. Lt-Cols and Majors) typically wear them as, by convention, they would have been on a horse. In other words, spurs do not always mean someone was/is in a cavalry unit. Hope that is of some little help. Happy, as always, to be corrected if I have got any of that wrong.
(1) Janions of Cheshire, Lancashire, Hawaii, Vancouver and Seattle.
(2) Gregorys of Tarporley, Cheshire.
(3) Pughs of 'The New Pale' near Frodsham and Delamere in Cheshire.
(4) Nevills of Llanelly, Llangennech and Felinfoel.
(5) Yaldens of Ovington/Lovington in Hampshire.