Author Topic: Does anyone recognise this uniform please  (Read 1613 times)

Offline FROGSMILE

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone recognise this uniform please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 January 19 18:13 GMT (UK) »
He is unquestionably a Lance Corporal (generally an unpaid appointment used as a kind of trial run) in a Fusilier Regiment and wearing the Blue Patrol uniform introduced for soldiers in overseas locations around 1898 and retained through to between the wars.  It later became the inspiration for the No1 Dress used for ceremonial, by Army regiments and corps, other than the Guards, today.

The collar badge was known as the 'universal grenade' and adopted by fusiliers from 1905 as a part of their shoulder title.  It was also used by two of the regiments as a collar badge: the Lancashire Fusiliers and the Royal Welsh Fusiliers.  The same badge was used by RA and RE, but for various purposes, and ceased being used as a collar badge by the former (who were the first to use it from 1881) in the early 1920s, when it was replaced by a version with a scroll beneath bearing the honour 'UBIQUE'. 

We know that your photo shows a Fusilier because of the visible two piece shoulder title, which is the same grenade, over block letters, either LF, or RWF depending upon which regiment it was.  I would date the photo to either before WW1, or not long after it.

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 January 19 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Frogsmile, very informative. The Lancashire Fusilier fits very nicely with my research.  :)
Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland

Offline FROGSMILE

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 January 19 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Frogsmile, very informative. The Lancashire Fusilier fits very nicely with my research.  :)

Glad to help.  There is a website dedicated to the Lancashire Fusiliers as a kind of memorial and historical focus.  I’m sure that they’d be grateful for an e-copy of the photo for their gallery.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 19 January 19 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Just thought I would add that a white border was introduced on postcard photos for economic reasons in 1915. I can't tell whether yours has a border or whether it has been cropped off, but thought that bit of information might help.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 January 19 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you FROGSMILE and Treetotal.

I will have a look at the Fusilier website and certainly forward a copy of the photo.  :)
Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland