Author Topic: Best guess as to the date of this photo of Eliza Dunton please.  (Read 575 times)

Offline Teletran

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Best guess as to the date of this photo of Eliza Dunton please.
« on: Saturday 12 January 19 20:54 GMT (UK) »
My generic search of the internet has failed to come up with anything for the Studio of T.R. Prewett of 40 Wote Street Basingstoke.  I do not have the original so I cannot improve the quality or send the back over.  Looking at the style of card, the age of Eliza (1843-1925) and, having lost two husbands between 1878 & 1891, one assume the colour of dress may reflect that loss. Can anybody suggest a date or have any information about the studio?  She lived in the area all her life which does not help.

Many thanks

Teletran

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Best guess as to the date of this photo of Eliza Dunton please.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 January 19 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Early 1890s I would say...the sleeves increased in size and shape towards the end of the decade.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 January 19 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Agree with Carol - early 1890s. By mid 1890s the sleeves had become more 'leg of mutton'

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 January 19 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Early 1890s I would say...the sleeves increased in size and shape towards the end of the decade.
Carol
That puts her age at 48-52

I see her as younger ie 40-45. Though its the fashion that will determine this I thought I'd post my thoughts
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 January 19 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Teletran

The Basingstoke studio of photographer Thomas Remley Prewett (1857-1932) was at 40 Wote Street for no more than 14 months (possibly just one year) from October 1893.

Findmypast subscribers can find relevant advertisements in the Hants and Berks Gazette:

1893 Oct. 21 page 4 column 1:
"WANTED TO BE KNOWN. -- T. R. PREWETT, THE GOOD PHOTOGRAPHER, late of 17, Wote-street, will re-commence business on WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 25th, 1893, at 40, WOTE STREET, opposite Angell's Champion Clothing Establishment."

1893 Oct. 21 p. 8 col. 2:
"Mr. PREWETT begs to state that he does not indend leaving Basingstoke at all now, as he has secured new premises at 40 Wote-street, and has built a studio with a direct north light which cannot be excelled for portraiture. Mr. Prewett was most successful with children at 17, Wote-street, in the morning. Now he has a proper light he will be able to take them at any hour in the day."

A few months earlier, at the end of a long report of the royal marriage celebrations (8 July 1893 p. 8 col. 4) the Gazette mentioned: "We understand that Mr. Prewett is leaving the town at Michaelmas."

In the 23 September 1893 edition (p. 4 col. 1) he announced that he would be removing from Wote Street to more convenient premises at 37 Winchester Street, opposite the "Wheatsheaf", on Thursday 28 September. This plan must have fallen through very swiftly, perhaps before Michaelmas (29 September), when rental terms would often start or finish.

Prewett's studio at 40 Woke Street was still being advertised a year later (e.g. 29 September 1894 p. 4 col. 1). But there was a new proprietor before Christmas: "H. M. RUMBLE (late T. R. Prewett)" (15 December 1894 p. 4 col. 3). In the 1901 census, Thomas is described as a travelling photographer at Gravesend, Kent.

David

Offline Teletran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 January 19 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the responses and very much so to David with the detailed history of the 'Prewett' Studio. Thanks again, Teletran.