Author Topic: Any help with brick wall appreciated - tracing ancestor back to different town..  (Read 3104 times)

Offline snuttall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I am researching the Challinors of Oldham, Lancashire and have traced them back to the late 1700s when they appear to come from somewhere else. My brick wall is to identify where that somewhere else is...

I have mapped all parish BMD records from that time to establish which Challinors were in the area and the below is what I have - N.B. I usually put soundex on Challinor and that captures all your Chalinor, Chaloner, Chalner, Challenger, Calendar, and whatever else you can think of - or where it's a really key record I've also tried searching CHA* and CHAL* with no luck either. I've also searched nearby areas particularly Prestwich as Oldham was then part of Oldham-cum-Prestwich.

Prior to 1780 - no Challinor records in Oldham

1780-1804 - 13 children born to George (my direct ancestor) and Anna Challinor (Samuel/James/Betty/Ketty/Joseph/Mally/Kitty/Thomas/Maria/William/Charlotte/George/Henry).
Can't find any marriage record for George and Anna anywhere in the country.
Burial record for George 1836 gives age as 89 = b. circa 1747

1787 - a Sarah Challinor is born to a Nathaniel Challinor (no mother's name given)

1803 - an Alice Challinor marries James Ashton.

1811 - a Jonas Challinor marries Martha Armatage. Dies aged 44 in 1829 = b. circa 1785.

1818 - Matty, the wife of a John Challinor dies aged 35 years - John presumably also born c. 1783.

All other parish records after that point in Oldham just relate to descendants of the above. So the above are who I have to work with in terms of establishing where the Oldham Challinors came from. I can't seem to trace any of them back even individually, let alone to some kind of common area which might indicate they were related!

I'd be appreciative of any pointers in the right direction!

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Any help with brick wall appreciated - tracing ancestor back to different town..
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 January 19 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Have you ruled out

https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3ANathaniel~%20%2Bsurname%3AChallinor~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1720-1770~

Maybe a little old for your man, but perhaps connected.

(Sorry I see that is too general a link, and now Familysearch is not loading, will correct it when I can)

Got it
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QJDD-XGN5

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any help with brick wall appreciated - tracing ancestor back to different town..
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 January 19 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Not an answer to your rmain point but I think I have found another child of George and Anna - Jonas “Channeler”, baptised 3 Feb 1778 at St Mary, Oldham, abode Mumps, parents George (weaver) & Anna.

Added: presumably he’s the one married in 1811.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline snuttall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 January 19 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Not an answer to your rmain point but I think I have found another child of George and Anna - Jonas “Channeler”, baptised 3 Feb 1778 at St Mary, Oldham, abode Mumps, parents George (weaver) & Anna.

Thank you well that is helpful in ruling out Jonas Challinor as an interloper - clearly just another child of George and Anna...

I feel it must all somehow come down to George and Nathaniel as the interlopers - in an ideal world I would then be able to find some link between them - but sadly that doesn't seem to be happening!

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 January 19 21:23 GMT (UK) »
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JWS8-Q8B

Perhaps this is Alice and Nathaniel

Offline snuttall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 January 19 21:24 GMT (UK) »
This one is a little younger

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F18G-85M

Thank you, could be - George himself was relatively older, 31 at first child and 57 at last... just can't find any birth for a George in that area.

I mean they could just be two random Challinors who randomly decided to move to Oldham... but who knows!

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 January 19 21:25 GMT (UK) »
There is this Alice Nathaniel marriage .  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QJDD-XGN5
Perhaps Alice and Nathaniel had son Nathaniel who married Margaret who had daughter Alice?

I haven’t checked that for practicality AT ALL
Just offering it for thought

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 January 19 21:34 GMT (UK) »