Author Topic: Parents of John Connelly (abt 1827 - 1897)  (Read 3190 times)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of John Connelly (abt 1827 - 1897)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 January 19 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Sorry that the Death Cert was little help.

I have looked at 1841 Census in Scotland/England- Lancs/Lincs etc with the hope of tracking John down with his Parents. Although he may have been away from home as an apprentice.

Will look again when I have time, hopefully someone else may have a suggestion for you.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 January 19 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Amondy.

I had looked at apprenticeships using Ancestry and Findmypast and looked again just now. Nothing comes up. Are there any other databases that I should be looking at?

The apprenticeship system was phased out by 1814 so you won't be finding anything there.  Also, you say  this man was a machine engraver...not quite the same as an engraver. 

You suggest Manchester or Sheffield as possible places of birth - where did you find this information?  You say you've tried Lancs records (for Manchester) Have you tried Yorkshire parish records (for Sheffield)?

CD

Offline 1JC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 January 19 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Trish 1120, that would be much appreciated.

Hi California Dreamin. The reference to Sheffield comes from the death notice in the newspaper...

“On September 8, 1897, at his home. Opotiki. John Connelly, late engraver Manchester and Glasgow: aged 70. Deeply regretted by his family. – Manchester. Sheffield and Glasgow papers please copy."

This is the only reference to Shieffield there is. Yes I have also looked at the Yorkshire births and Census records. There must be something that points to his parents, somewhere.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 January 19 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi again 1JC

I see that John Connelly was married in a Presbyterian church - so I am assuming a Non-conformist Presbyterian by birth and not CofE (Anglican). If so, just bear in mind not all non-conformist records are online, and as with any parish record they may not have survived.

As a Non-conformist worth a try is here https://bmdregisters.co.uk (unless you have already looked)    It is pay per view - and some data sets might also be included in other Genealogical websites so maybe check first before shelling out any ££

CD

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 January 19 21:45 GMT (UK) »

This passenger list for the "Black Eagle" -
http://www.yesteryears.co.nz/shipping/passlists/blackeagle.html

I see your John CONNELLY. Also listed is Thomas NEILSON, and you might suspect that he is related to Janet, wife of John.

The death record that you have - Can you please list all the information on the document....everything...do not leave out any thing on the document.

What marriages do you have for the children John, Charles, Janet and Mary CONNELLY and James NEILSON?

Census 1851 Scotland @ 262 High St Glasgow
COUMHL John           24yr      machan engrover      b. England
CONNELH Janet        38yr       wife                         b. Glasgow
CONNELH John           1yr       son                          b. Glasgow
NILSON James          10y        nephew                    b. Glasgow

BAYD  Maying     54yr    annuiant      b. England
BAYD Rollo         12yr    scholar        b. England

Six people listed at 262 High Street

Offline 1JC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 18 January 19 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Wivenhoe.

I did see the John Connelly in yesteryears passenger list for Black Eagle but I did not notice the Thomas Neilson. I double checked the children from Janet's marriage to James Neilson but there are only two I can find; Margaret Howie (1837) and James (1841). I never did find what happened to Margaret Howie Neilson. Not sure how the Thomas Neilson would fit in. The 10 year old James Nilson mentioned in the 1851 Census transcription is John Connelly's stepson, not nephew as transcribed.

Attached is the death certificate and death notice.

I think I see your point re the two other residents of 262 High St. I did not notice them before. They are Marjory and Rollo Boyd (other and son). I thought that a long shot might be that Marjory was John's mother...
John Boyd married Marjory Rollo on 3 June 1816 They had quite a few children from 1817 onwards but no John.  Is that what you were thinking?

Offline 1JC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 January 19 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi California Dreamin.

Thanks for that.

Yes John Connelly and Janet Neilson (nee Forsyth) were married at the United Presbyterian Church in Glasgow and attached is the marriage record I have. The scotland's people site describes what can be expected from marriage records - which is not much.

I didn't find anything on the bdmregisters sith but thanks anyway.

Do you think I should ask on the Scotland board about the possibility of more detailed marriage records being available?

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 18 January 19 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi 1JC,
Yes, maybe ask on the Scotland board.  They may be able to advise if there is anything within the Presbyterian records for that church which may offer further assistance.

John obviously still had family about in England/Scotland since the person who placed his death notice was so keen for it to be seen in Manchester, Sheffield and Glasgow.  Shame you don't know about any siblings for John (or do you?) that you could try to follow.

CD

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 18 January 19 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately official registration started in Scotland in 1855 so there won't be any other records