Author Topic: Help with researching families from Ireland to Scotland  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Happypaddock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with researching families from Ireland to Scotland
« on: Sunday 13 January 19 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am researching my grandmothers family in Glasgow and have found that most of the ancestors have originally come from Ireland. Some are from Skerries, some from Sligo, some from Derrykeighan and others I have no idea! I seem to keep hitting brick walls with documents for these families in Ireland and would appreciate any help. 

My grandmother's name was Jean (Jeannie) Morrison Scullion. Her parents were James Scullion and Mary Ann Judge. Her siblings were Mary Ann, John, James, Janet, Catherine Judge, Hugh, Margaret, and Mary Joiner.

James' parents were John Scullion and Mary Joiner. John is listed as coming from Ireland but not really sure where exactly. His father Hugh was possibly from Derrykeighan and Hugh's wife Sarah McLean was also from Ireland.

Mary Ann Judge's parents John Judge and Mary Walls were both from Sligo according to their marriage record.
Mary Joiner's parents were Charles Joiner (no idea where born) and Margaret Bowman (Ireland).
Mary Walls' parents Peter Walls and Mary Rowan were possibly from Skerries but have nothing to back this up with as I only saw it on a family tree on Ancestry.com.

I would appreciate any information about the families along with where and how to get access to the relevant records.

::)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with researching families from Ireland to Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 January 19 07:50 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat,
You need to give an idea of dates.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 January 19 08:37 GMT (UK) »
There are no Scullions in Derrykeighan in the 1827 tithe applotment records. That surname is much more common around the eponymous parish of Ballyscullion in Co. Londonderry/Derry. But as has been said we’d need dates to try and tell you what records exist.
Elwyn

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 January 19 09:02 GMT (UK) »
'Her parents were James Scullion and Mary Ann Judge'

that marriage was 1883 in Maryhill.

Added:
Just for info.
Jean born end of December 1901, and married in Australia.

Offline Happypaddock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 January 19 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for you messages so far. I mainly need assistance with the Irish roots rather than the Scottish. I have the following dates:
John Scullion (1832?-1906) born Ireland, married Mary Joiner (also spelt Junor/Junnor/Joyner/Jenner) (1831-1891) in 1854 in New Kilpatrick. Mary was born in Maryhill, Glasgow.
John Judge (1822?-1883) came from Sligo, Ireland according to his marriage record. He married Mary Walls (1822?-1861) in 1838 in Barony, Lanarkshire. Mary was also from Sligo (from marriage record).
Hugh Scullion (1811?-) came from Ireland. An ancestry.com family tree suggested Derrykeighan but judging from the comment about that here, it is most probably incorrect. He married Sarah McLean (1811?-1885) possibly around 1830ish.
Charles Joiner (1800?-died before 1841?) married Margaret Bowman (1801?- died after 1871?) possibly around the early 1820s. Margaret is from Ireland, not sure about Charles.
Peter walls (1776- died after 1861) from Skerries, County Dublin married Mary Roman (1793?-1867?) possibly in the early 1820s.
John Judge (1780?-) from Ireland, married Alice Kelly (1780?-) also from Ireland probably around 1825ish.
I would love to know where I can find out more about them as I am in Australia. ;)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 January 19 02:13 GMT (UK) »
As there are so many individuals from various places and several  surnames, would it be an idea to split them into separate topics ? Otherwise this thread may become long and complex.
Unless you merely want pointers on where to search? Have you looked at Irish Genealogy Toolkit?
https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com
Cowban

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 January 19 08:08 GMT (UK) »
One of the problems you face is that many RC parishes in Ireland don’t have any records  for the years you need.  A lot only start in the 1820s. Taking Ballyscullion for example, where the surname Scullion is very common, it has no records earlier than 1844.

Most Irish RC records are ion Ancestry. If you have access to that site you can search for them there.
Elwyn

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 January 19 08:31 GMT (UK) »
A couple of places to find clues in Scottish records are the 1881 census, where the enumerator was supposed to record the county of those born in Ireland, and births registered in 1855, where the place of birth of the parents was recorded.
Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,
Cavanagh - Galway, Southland New Zealand
Anthony - Tipperary, Southland New Zealand
Bath - Cornwall, Tasmania, Southland
Brungot - Alesund, Norway; Southland
Bonthron - Fifeshire, Southland

Offline Happypaddock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 02:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the further information and the Irish genealogy website - the website looks like it will be really helpful.
Cheere :D