Author Topic: CALLIGAN help please  (Read 600 times)

Offline Heather Walsh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CALLIGAN help please
« Reply #27 on: Friday 18 January 19 10:50 GMT (UK) »
sorry, their child Margaret born 1818....john and Margaret married 1820.....

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I HAVE edited my profile - several times!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 18 January 19 11:07 GMT (UK) »
I checked Shotts VRs 1855 & no C*l*g*n i.e. possibly too soon after death for a wife or other to be listed?
Far too soon for the tenant or occupier to be listed, I think. In the earliest censuses, they only listed houses individually if they were over a certain annual value. In the 1855 census of Shotts there are 78 groups of 'houses'  listed, and that doesn't necessarily include cottarhouses on a farm. You'd need to look at the originals to see if they even tell you how many houses were in a particular group, but I think all you get is the total annual value of all the houses in the group.

You can probably tell that it's a very long time since I bothered to look at an 1855 VR, since I know they are unlikely to tell me what I want to know. ;)
Researching

AITKENHEAD, Lanarkshire; BINNY, Forfar; BLACK, New Monkland; BRYSON, Cumbernauld; BURGESS, North-East Scotland; CRUICKSHANK, Rothes; DALLAS, Botriphnie; DAVIDSON, Oyne; GUTHRIE, Angus; HOGG, Larbert; LESLIE, Rothes/Mortlach; MENDUM, England; MOLLISON, Lethnot; PATERSON, Larbert; RHIND, Forfar; SANG, Scotland; SCOTT, East Kilbride; STOR(R)I/E/Y, Shotts; THORNTON, Shotts; WADDELL, New Monkland; WILKIE, New Monkland; WILKIE, Tannadice; WYLLIE, Angus; YOUNG, Keith

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 18 January 19 17:17 GMT (UK) »
When/where and to whom did Margaret b.1818 marry?   Where did she end up?

Seems strange not to find any of them in 1841 or 1851.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Heather Walsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 19 January 19 00:07 GMT (UK) »
I cannot find a trace of any of the family at all. Not the parents, john colligan and Margaret kirk, their children, Margaret 1818, Eleanor 1820, James 1823, not a marriage or a death or a census anywhere. I also cant find them travelling anywhere either, its like they just disappeared.   

Offline Heather Walsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 19 January 19 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Also many years back on scotlands people there was a marriage in the old parish records for a William nichol and Margaret kirk, from memory about 1809/1811, in shotts, then I found a birth for mary nichol about 1815 to them both, this info got lost and I cant refind it again on sp.....now on James colligan birth in 1823 to john colligan and Margaret kirk, he looks to be 4th child born as there is a number 4 at end of entry, so connecting the dots I would say William nichol's Margaret kirk and john colligans Margaret kirk are the same person and james is 4th child, making mary nichol 1st child.....I hope this makes sense.....either way, I can find the mary nichol either, she has disappeared along with the rest.