Author Topic: CALLIGAN help please  (Read 3038 times)

Offline Creasegirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CALLIGAN help please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 January 19 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Found this link saying that there were costs for baptisms and that sometimes they were only done when families had enough money which could be years after birth http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/forum/topic10206.html
Ferguson (st fillans, comrie)
Garnock (lothian, fife)
Valet (london, switzerland)
Butcher (ramsgate, glasgow)
Blackbird (durham,  newcastle)
Barr (ayrshire, ireland)
Fleming (paisley)
Crone, croney ,(dumfriesshire, ireland)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 January 19 13:10 GMT (UK) »
No point in speculating. Take a look at the original documents on Scotland's People and see what they tell you. Apart from the first birth being before the marriage, and the second one only just after it, there's nothing inconsistent about them.

If this is the right John C*l*g*n, I wonder if his wife might have applied to the parish for help to support her family after his death? Might there be something in the Shotts Kirk Session records?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Heather Walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 January 19 13:12 GMT (UK) »
john died 1834, so if he was the john colligan married to Margaret kirk, I haven't found them in the 1841 census, his widow and children I mean, all the children old enough to be married by then anyway,,,,,,,and Margaret herself would most likely have remarried too...……...never mind, I think impossible to go any further there.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 January 19 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Found this link saying that there were costs for baptisms and that sometimes they were only done when families had enough money which could be years after birth
That may be true in England or elsewhere, but it only applied for a few years in Scotland, not including the period you are interested in.

The Stamp Duty Act of 1783 (23 Geo III c 67) introduced a fee of three pence on ‘the registry of burials, marriages, baptisms and christenings’ with a penalty of five pounds for those who refused to pay - it was repealed in 1794, no doubt because the authorities realised that the fee was deterring people from having their children's baptisms recorded in the parish registers at all.

Most parishes did charge a fee for proclamation of banns, on the grounds that people did not choose to be born or to died, but they could choose whether or not to marry. The fees were very variable, and even in the same parish different amounts were charged according to people's ability to pay. The money went into the parish poor fund.

There were also charges for the use of the mortcloth, which was a cloth draped over the coffin during the funeral. Some parishes had several mortcloths, and charged higher fees for the 'best' mortcloth than they did for the ordinary one.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 January 19 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Heather, I served my Apprenticeship in Shotts Iron Works so quite familiar with the area. If your John died in the period you mention he most likely was buried in Kirk O' Shotts graveyard which is not actually in Shotts but in Salsburgh right next to the B7066 road. There are records for this Yard, you can start here. :-   http://www.salsburghheritagegroup.co.uk/4.html
There are a lot of Pauper burials in unmarked graves and there were no rich folk in Shotts.

James.

Offline Heather Walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 18 January 19 00:40 GMT (UK) »
thank you James

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 January 19 01:15 GMT (UK) »
"Church yard dues....CALLIGAN JOHN  1834   Shotts iron works  age 40 March 13....2'10."

CALLIGAN JOHN
-----
13/03/1854
655/50 576 Shotts

Can you tell us how you arrived at John?

Did he have children & if so, what were their names in order as this can sometimes be a clue to parents/g parents?

Do you have any marriages/deaths/census' for children to help with where/when born?

Do you know the above is your John & not someone else with so little details to go on or are you just trying to establish whether or not he is?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 18 January 19 01:17 GMT (UK) »
I've just looked at that record on SP and I would say it is indeed 1854 as they list it and not 1834 as you seem to think.  The writer wrote their '5's' in the same fashion - instances of 3's on the page are quite different.

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 18 January 19 01:38 GMT (UK) »
I've just looked at that record on SP and I would say it is indeed 1854

Annette, is there anything else to say where in Shotts or what church or anything on other entries with more detail to help in any way, very short on info?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"