Author Topic: CALLIGAN help please  (Read 3025 times)

Offline Heather Walsh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CALLIGAN help please
« Reply #27 on: Friday 18 January 19 10:50 GMT (UK) »
sorry, their child Margaret born 1818...….john and Margaret married 1820...…..

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 18 January 19 11:07 GMT (UK) »
I checked Shotts VRs 1855 & no C*l*g*n i.e. possibly too soon after death for a wife or other to be listed?
Far too soon for the tenant or occupier to be listed, I think. In the earliest censuses, they only listed houses individually if they were over a certain annual value. In the 1855 census of Shotts there are 78 groups of 'houses'  listed, and that doesn't necessarily include cottarhouses on a farm. You'd need to look at the originals to see if they even tell you how many houses were in a particular group, but I think all you get is the total annual value of all the houses in the group.

You can probably tell that it's a very long time since I bothered to look at an 1855 VR, since I know they are unlikely to tell me what I want to know. ;)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 18 January 19 17:17 GMT (UK) »
When/where and to whom did Margaret b.1818 marry?   Where did she end up?

Seems strange not to find any of them in 1841 or 1851.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Heather Walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 19 January 19 00:07 GMT (UK) »
I cannot find a trace of any of the family at all. Not the parents, john colligan and Margaret kirk, their children, Margaret 1818, Eleanor 1820, James 1823, not a marriage or a death or a census anywhere. I also cant find them travelling anywhere either, its like they just disappeared.   

Offline Heather Walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 19 January 19 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Also many years back on scotlands people there was a marriage in the old parish records for a William nichol and Margaret kirk, from memory about 1809/1811, in shotts, then I found a birth for mary nichol about 1815 to them both, this info got lost and I cant refind it again on sp...…..now on James colligan birth in 1823 to john colligan and Margaret kirk, he looks to be 4th child born as there is a number 4 at end of entry, so connecting the dots I would say William nichol's Margaret kirk and john colligans Margaret kirk are the same person and james is 4th child, making mary nichol 1st child...…..I hope this makes sense...……..either way, I can find the mary nichol either, she has disappeared along with the rest. 

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 15 April 19 12:16 BST (UK) »
In another thread you mention William Colligan husband of Agnes Hale. Agnes is my great great grandmother and although I have come across the John Colligan Margaret Kirk marriage I had not connected the two, since John is in Shotts in 1820, whilst William is still in Ireland until at least 1844.

I would be very interested in any knowledge you have connecting the two.
Howie (Riccarton Ayrshire)
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
Main (Airdrie Lanarkshire)
Grant (Lanarkshire and Bo'ness)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)