Author Topic: Are these odd results?  (Read 492 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Are these odd results?
« on: Sunday 13 January 19 09:24 GMT (UK) »
J and M (both female) are first cousins to each other. (Their fathers are brothers and my relationship via paper trail is to their paternal line).
My 2 x great grandfather is their 3 x great grandfather. They are descended from his first wife and I am descended from his second wife, so they are my half 3rd cousins once removed.

I have a 62 / 4 match with J and 32 / 2 match with M (near enough half).

My questions are:
Why such a large difference when my relationship is the same with the two ladies?
Is my match with J unusually high if my only relationship is half 3C1R, or is it possible I am also related to her / them in a second way? We do share another surname from the same county in our trees back in early 1700s but I can't find a common individual in both our trees.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Are these odd results?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 January 19 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizzie

According to https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4

*3rd cousins, once removed,  can share anything between 0-96 cMs, so I'd say that  they are within the range.

Gadget

*added - I forgot to say half 3rd cousins 1R but the figures given are for that category.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Are these odd results?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 January 19 13:54 GMT (UK) »
LizzieL,

Think of their grandparents.
One child A gets 120 cM of the DNA from your matches 3G grandfather line from their father, one child B only gets 90 cM or less, or sometimes none at all.

A's offspring might inherit 62/4 segments, B's offspring might inherit 32/2, or they might all end up with none of the DNA.

My cousin has very different results to me, the closer ones are the same, but out of my 202 4th to 6th cousins, and her 224, we only share 24. And some of those are very different in terms of cM inherited.

Read through the following thread -

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=806421.0

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go