Author Topic: Help required to identify uniform please!  (Read 1244 times)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help required to identify uniform please!
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 January 19 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon,

I have looked through all I have on British helmets and that particular design doesn't appear. The foreign service helmet 1878 didn't have a wide brim all round like that. It had a peak at the front, slightly wider at the back but almost nonexistent at the sides.

It is from memory similar to that worn by the New Zealand and Australian police during that time. many of them wore uniforms based on British cavalry uniforms.

John915

http://www.nyc-techwriters.com/militaria/helmets.htm
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 January 19 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon John,

I don't know either as posted before. Do you agree with 6th Dragoons late 1850's or 1860. If my 1861 Census entry is correct, he had left the Army. Katherine is having a think.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 January 19 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Back again,

I have been trying to pin down the exact pattern sabre but no luck. British swords underwent many changes through the 1800s. But most of the cavalry patterns had curved blades. The straighter heavy pattern was I think late 1800s.

The tunic is about right for the 6th but the cuff would have told us more had we been able to see it all.

Will search further over the weekend, John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 19 January 19 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Collar and cuff colours would be the same. Our sabre looks like the 1853 heavy cavalry pattern.

See:-

http://www.katetattersall.com/british-cavalry-sabres-of-the-early-to-mid-1800s/.

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 20 January 19 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi all. Thanks for replies. I have still had no luck working out how he fits into family. Will have to dig deeper on that matter. You guys have such a wealth of knowledge on uniforms!
Regorian- what makes you think the census entry is him?

I think the Chelsea Pensioner records indicated that Isaac Morrow was out of army around 1859 (going on memory there!). The photos seems to be late 1860s, probably 1870s more likely. Would this Isaac Morrow still have occasion to wear a uniform?

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 20 January 19 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Katherine,

What's the provenence of your photograph please. Leaving the Army 1859/60 could well allow him to be in Staffordshire by 1861 Census. Do you have him in the 1841, 1851 and 1871 Censuses, I can't find him in the '51 or '71.

That chin fuzz is early, there are people on here who know the dates worn but you don't seem to have attracted their attention.   

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 20 January 19 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, does anyone think placing the photograph on the photograph recognition board would help?

Just a thought, you never know your luck.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands