Author Topic: Henry George SMITH born 1829 Plymouth Devon  (Read 448 times)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry George SMITH born 1829 Plymouth Devon
« on: Sunday 13 January 19 11:33 GMT (UK) »
This is a long-shot request to see if anyone has Henry George SMITH in their line as I'm struggling to trace him after birth.

The information I have is that he was born on 30.1.1829 and bp on 10.7.1829 in Plymouth Presbyterian to parents John James and Mary Ann. I believe John James SMITH (sailor) married Mary Ann SIMSON (widow) on 6.5.1828 in Exeter St Mary Major, and also that Mary Ann (SMITH) was buried on 7.5.1835 in Plymouth St Andrew, age 48.

I think that John James remarried Eliza CAUNTER (nee COCK or LOCK) in Q3 1841 in East Stonehouse and they had a son John James SMITH whose birth was registered in Q3 1842 in Plymouth (born 28.6.1842, bp 10.7.1842 Plymouth St Andrew, father a mariner).

I've got various Royal Navy records for John James senior, one of which from 1835 shows allotments being paid to Betsy SIMSON who was Mary Ann's daughter from her first marriage. A later record in 1841/2 shows allotments going to wife Eliza in Stonehouse.

My interest is mainly in Henry George SMITH b 1829 as he's the one person I can't pin down after birth. There are several options for him, and always the possibility he was known as George rather than Henry.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Good wishes, Flemming.