Author Topic: Convict Samuel Beaman  (Read 2969 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Convict Samuel Beaman
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 03:11 GMT (UK) »
PS: Just seen that there are a number of family trees for this line on Ancestry. Mostly on what happened after they arrived in Australia. You need a subscription to view these on Ancestry.

Wow,   ::)  ::)
 :) one of those has '187837 people in this member tree' .... and is private !
 :) another has Samuel as convicted at age 7, and arriving in NSW in 1833, but the ship departing England in 1834 ... 

I cannot see any tree with Samuel with first wife as Mary and then second wife as Janet, but then again, I cannot see any tree with much supporting documentation for Janet or her mum or sister ... perhaps the tree owners are being careful with what they post online ....

Anyway, I will pause my offline searchings through my Bowman records until I hear from our OP re that sighting of Samuel Beaman with a wife at Parramatta.     I am fairly confident that would be the Samuel who had been transported in 1833, and had been assigned at that time to John EYRE  at Parramatta.   http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/eyre-john-2033  (missionary, school master, coroner etc)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Mariea Christoforou

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 06 September 19 01:50 BST (UK) »
Hello JM,

Samuel Beaman convict on Captain Cook 2nd arrived NSW 1833 left a wife Mary Beaman nee Humphries and sons Samuel and Richard in Middlesex England. On arrival in 1833 he was assigned to John Eyre at Parramatta.  Yes there are several Samuel Beamans but I'm trying to find out what happened to Samuel convict after he received his Certificate of Freedom in 1840. ( Samuel Beaman (son) died in 1883 NSW) and a Mary Ann Beaman died 1854 and is buried in St Stephens Church cemetery in Newtown NSW.Any information as to when convict Samuel was re-united with his family would be appreciated.Mariea

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 06 September 19 03:47 BST (UK) »
Hello JM,

Samuel Beaman convict on Captain Cook 2nd arrived NSW 1833 left a wife Mary Beaman nee Humphries and sons Samuel and Richard in Middlesex England. On arrival in 1833 he was assigned to John Eyre at Parramatta.  Yes there are several Samuel Beamans but I'm trying to find out what happened to Samuel convict after he received his Certificate of Freedom in 1840. ( Samuel Beaman (son) died in 1883 NSW) and a Mary Ann Beaman died 1854 and is buried in St Stephens Church cemetery in Newtown NSW.Any information as to when convict Samuel was re-united with his family would be appreciated.Mariea

Hi, 

May I ask if your research has checked the NSW docs mentioned in my post here:

Samuel arrived 1833, under a 7-year sentence, so he was emancipated by 1840 which is also the year that convictism effectively ceased in NSW.  He would have been free to travel anywhere, and his Certificate of Freedom has been noted by Jamjar.

I have several questions,

:) Perhaps you could confirm which NSW BDM documents and/or newspaper announcements are giving you family history type information to show that Mary BEAMAN nee HUMPHRIES and her sons, Samuel and Richard came to NSW?  If you have the death certs (or official transcriptions) for their deaths in NSW, what answers are recorded for the question ‘how long in the colonies’…

:) Can you please advise the name of the ship and to which colony for Mary BEAMAN and her two children, coming to Australia in 1851 …those two lads would have been adults by then so probably manifested separately …  ?   

:) When did the chap who arrived 1833 apply for his wife and sons to come to NSW?   Convictism effectively ceased to NSW in 1840. 
                 :)  :) Is it possible she and her children came as Immigrants as part of the then general Immigration Schemes that existed in the 1840s and into the 1850s?,
                 :)  :) If so, the passenger lists usually show their NSW relatives and/or parents and at least their own native places….
                 :)  :) So, it is possible to check what information is recorded against the two lads … I would expect it to at least note ‘mother on board’ and that father resides at …….. in NSW.

NSW Archives here: https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/
Perhaps you have the papers for
 :) Richard BEAMAN, the labourer sequested in 1907 …
 :) Mary BEAMAN, the widow, late of Darlinghurst and her own deceased file/probate etc 1930
 :) Samuel Charles BEAMAN, and Hannah BEAMAN … divorce/maintenance papers in 1900

Re Samuel Charles BEAMAN,
 :D his NSW BDM d.c. will show his parents as Samuel and Janet.  He died in 1935, and the death registered Redfern.  #6099.    NSW BDM online index also shows at least two others by the surname BEAMAN who had parents as Samuel and Janet/Jennet.     
 :D Janet BEAMAN died in 1902, her death gives her parents as Richard and Elizabeth. #3850
 :) And does that d.c. show her marriage, and
 :) what name recorded for her husband, and for her children and their ages …  (so, if her husband was your Samuel, then this info will not include his children by Margaret  Add, oops,  Mary  ::) my typo  :-[ ). 

Re Richard BEAMAN,
 :) a chap by that name died in 1940 aged 85 at Marrickville.  His death was registered Marrickville.  #27216 From his D.C. where was he born, how long in the colonies/state. 

:) Re Mary BEAMAN, nee HUMPHRIES … so there’s not just that 1930 death to consider, but I can see a burial indexed at NSWBDM for a Mary BEAMAN in 1854…. Vol 41A will be Church of England and likely there will be scant info on that Early Church Record.  The index does show she was aged 52, so born circa 1802.   Line 742 of Vol 41A of1854,   

I will try to find spare time later this week to help further, but likely I will need some information from those questions.    I have asked my husband to get out my archival boxes on my Bowman/Beaman research.  The spelling variations are extensive, some caused by illiteracy, some caused by not being available for transcribing until the mid-20th Century, so worn through, ink bleeds, thumbed through, badly bound up, etc….

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Mariea Christoforou

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 23 April 23 14:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you Majm for so much information.I will look into these.Mariea C