Author Topic: McGarry/Cassidy/Graham Glenarm and Larne  (Read 3973 times)

Offline carlotta

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McGarry/Cassidy/Graham Glenarm and Larne
« on: Sunday 13 January 19 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I have a Mary Jane Cassidy (1871 Glenarm - 1941 Larne) that married a James McGarry (1863 Tyrone - 1914 Larne) and has 2 children Susan and Catherine.  Susan emigrated to the US and Catherine died as a spinster and is interred in Greenland Cemetery Larne 1972.

Mary Jane McGarry then married a John Graham (1864 Larne - 1935 Larne)  and had Mary Margaret Graham in 1920.

I am looking for any info on Mary Margaret Graham who was born 27 Aug 1920 in St John's Place Larne.  She was Roman Catholic and I suspect was baptised in St MacNissi's Larne.  Any suggestions of how to proceed further?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McGarry/Cassidy/Graham Glenarm and Larne
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 January 19 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Do you know whether she married or not...there is a probate record for a Mary Margaret Graham in 1961.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline carlotta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 January 19 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that!  Pretty sure this isn't her.  I suspect she may have married in England according to someone who was in touch with St MacNissi's Church - they apparently have no baptism record but they did have a sacrament of marriage 1949 Holy Ghost Church Basinstoke UK.

Holy Ghost church cannot find it, perhaps the date is wrong.

My attempts to email St MacNissi's were unsuccessful and I dint want to be a pain as its not my religion.  Do you think it would be OK just to turn up on their doorstep or should I call first?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 January 19 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Oh Ok...I think I would call first which would give them time to take a look for you...I can't see a matching tree for her on Ancestry.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 January 19 16:09 GMT (UK) »

Poor Mary Jane, 49 years old when she gave birth to Mary Margaret ?

Was there a death notice for Mary Jane Graham when she passed away in 1941 ?

Were there any death notices or obituaries for the half sisters - Susan and Catherine which might have mentioned Mary ?

There was no Mary Margaret Graham marriage in Basingstoke in 1949 or near that date that I could see.  :-\

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline carlotta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 January 19 16:15 GMT (UK) »
I have a newspaper entry for catherine but no mention of anyone.  Also her death cert lists the informant as HJ McGovern Person ? the body to be buried 15D Shane House Larne.  Cant make out what is ?   Shane House is long demolished.

I agree poor woman giving birth in those days at all......

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 January 19 16:18 GMT (UK) »

Have you traced Susan McGarry or whatever her married name was ?  Could Mary Margaret have gone to her half-sister in the USA ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 January 19 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Used every variation of names and this was the only one found on FreeBmd:

Marriages Dec 1950 
Graham    Mary M    Watson    Thanet    5b   1495

If anyone can find her...Sandra Can ;D

Carol

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 January 19 16:27 GMT (UK) »

Eric Jack A Watson - 26 September 1920 - passed away February 2000 Thanet with Dover Kent.
Register Number A7E - District and Subdistrict 5751A

Haven't found a Mary M Watson in that area - nothing shown for her birth date 27 August 1920 (unless I missed it)

Sandra