Author Topic: Cook Family of Wickham  (Read 749 times)

Offline Westfrem

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cook Family of Wickham
« on: Sunday 13 January 19 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm trying to locate the marriage of my 3xGreat Grandfather William Cook to Ann (surname unknown).
They had five children (that I know of!), all baptised in Wickham between 1825 and 1837.
Their first son Isaac was baptised on 21st October 1825.
Most online trees have Ann Beckett as William's wife but they didn't marry until October 1826 and transcripts of Isaac's baptism give both parents names (unless reputed father is shown) and he has the surname Cook.
William Cook and Ann Beckett were married in Winchester by Licence stating they were both previously unmarried and aged 21 (ages would fit) also they were listed as 'of the parish of St Lawrence, WInchester'.
I would like to know if anyone has access to Wickham parish registers and can verify if there were any marriages of a William Cook to Ann. Also confirmation of Isaac's baptism would be appreciated as would any children prior to 1825.
Thanks in advance
West - Oxfordshire & Kent
Hucks - Kent
Fremlin - Kent & worldwide

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cook Family of Wickham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 January 19 17:07 GMT (UK) »
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Westfrem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 January 19 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pauline
Yes that is the correct family. In the 1871 census their ages are way out but they are still in the same place!
And yes I got the baptisms from the transcriptions of the Bishop Transcripts - I haven't seen the images.

I did consider a marriage between William and another Ann with his first 'Ann' being the mother of Isaac before her death.
Hucks - Kent

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 January 19 17:37 GMT (UK) »
What about this one in Wickham:

William Cooke married Ann Miller 26 June 1825

They still cut it a bit fine  ;)

Any children born after 1837?  If so, check out the new GRO index which should show the mother's maiden name to confirm.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Westfrem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 January 19 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Little Nell
I will try that one, It is certainly more feasible and now I have a surname I can check GRO although from memory I don't recall any Miller mothers!
I have a feeling that Robert 1837 (the second Robert) was probably the last child as no others have surfaced as yet.
I can also try to locate Ann Miller and see if there is a baptism which would confirm her age etc..
Hucks - Kent