Author Topic: Samuel Nelson Born 1916 in Belfast  (Read 1496 times)

Offline Fran21

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Nelson Born 1916 in Belfast
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scotmum
Mary Ann ( Bell ) Nelson died 13 Feb 1922 the record is in Belfast Burial Records and it looks like she is buried with her Father-in-Law William Nelson.in Dundonald plot no: C4 284.
I think I am wrong about Samuel Nelson !!! He was born 22July 1916 I found this on Irish Genealogy . So onward with the search !! Hope he survived as I am really trying to find any descendents of the Bell family.
I might have to make a trip to search the Belfast Telegraph archive offices for death notices not so easy when you live in England !!
Again thank you for your help. Regards Fran..
BEARDSHAW,   BELL, AKERS
UPPERDINE
CAREY
GOURLEY
MACKLEWAIN

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Ah, as Mary Ann Nelson (nee Bell), was listed as 22 when she married in 1915, and you said she died aged 25, I had only checked  deaths up to 1920 (allowing for a slight age inaccuracy). So, you are happy that the 1922 death is your Mary, even though age differs (presumably as the William in the plot's address was given as 60 Ravenhill Road and John's at marriage was also 60 Ravenhill Road)?

I suppose there is an outside chance that William could also have had a second daughter in law named Mary Ann or a daughter named Mary Ann, so did the 48 Central Street address on the burial register help you to be certain it was the Mary Ann married to John (perhaps an address you were aware of from other sources)? The 51 Lisburn Road address being the hospital.

A Mary Nelson, wife of a William Nelson, died at 60 Ravenhill Road on 29th September 1921.Burial was noted as to Castlereagh Burying Ground. Also mention of her brother and sister in law, Sam and Clara Johnston. This was the same William of the 1928 burial in Dundonald, as per his newspaper death notice. Unfortunately, his death notice only mentioned his late wife Mary.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Mmm, a 13yr old daughter, Mary, with William and Mary at 1911 (albeit no middle name mentioned):

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Ormeau/Ravenhill_Road/216629/
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 17:49 GMT (UK) »
I think I am wrong about Samuel Nelson !!! He was born 22July 1916 I found this on Irish Genealogy
That's the birth I posted yesterday (reply #6)

so did the 48 Central Street address on the burial register help you to be certain it was the Mary Ann married to John (perhaps an address you were aware of from other sources)?
1924 Belfast directory- Central St. (Newtownards Rd. to Loughview St.) 48. Nelson, John, iron dresser
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/ccomplete1924.htm
Not listed there in 1932 or 1912
1918- 48. Nelson, John, iron dresser

1915 marriage for John Nelson & Mary Ann Bell gives him as iron dresser. Samuel's birth registration (1916) gives occupation as hammerman.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Belfast News-Letter, 7 Nov.1911: … against Robert J. Buchanan, who was charged with having assaulted John Nelson, 60, Ravenhill Road, the same afternoon. Mr. D. F. Spiller prosecuted, and Mr. John Graham defended. John Nelson said was a labourer Inglis's Bakery. On the day in question he left ...

Northern Whig, 7 Jan.1928: NELSON—January 4, 1928. at his residence, 60, Ravenhill Road, William, the dearly loved husband of the late Mary Nelson. Funeral from above address to-day, at 2.30, for interment in Dundonald...

Mary Ann ( Bell ) Nelson died 13 Feb 1922 the record is in Belfast Burial Records
But what does her death certificate say?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 18:15 GMT (UK) »

I might have to make a trip to search the Belfast Telegraph archive offices for death notices not so easy when you live in England !!

Visit the Newspaper library of Belfast Central library located in Library Street off Royal Avenue. It has microfilm copies of the Belfast Telegraph from 1871 to the present day. If you know the month and year of the death notice, it's easy to search.

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Fran21

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 31 January 19 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to everyone for their help and support and I am going to do some more research hopefully when I visit Belfast in the summer. Regards Fran.
BEARDSHAW,   BELL, AKERS
UPPERDINE
CAREY
GOURLEY
MACKLEWAIN