Author Topic: John Pugh's gravestone  (Read 370 times)

Offline malijibic

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Pugh's gravestone
« on: Sunday 13 January 19 22:49 GMT (UK) »
 Please can someone out there work some majick to make the inscription clearer.
Could be in Tonypandy or Trealaw, a very large cemetery on a slope.  we did find the grave when we took my parents in law to South Wales in the 1970s.  At the time I had no interest in family history and did not bother to record the inscription.

The photo is of his two daughters on a much earlier visit there

Online McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: John Pugh's gravestone
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Had a go but don't know if it helps a lot; I still can't read much of it. It does look like "TONYPANDY" though, under John Pugh's name (although without your posting that name I might have thought it said "TONYPERCY"). Perhaps with your own family knowledge, local knowledge and help from other Rootschatters many of the gaps can be filled in. It might be worth masking off and rescanning just the stone at an even higher resolution, but I suspect that the original photo may just not be clear enough to give up all the details.
Cheers,
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline malijibic

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Pugh's gravestone
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much.  Your majick showed that he died in March  (Mawrth) 1890.  I was then cheeky enough to phone the cemetery office at Trealaw where a very pleasant lady looked at the records for me.  He was buried there and she even gave me the grave number.
So many thanks for your work on the photo.
Diolch yn fawr.