Author Topic: Catherine Doyle Fanning born Bulla Victoria c1865 Info Sought  (Read 1420 times)

Offline KMF

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine Doyle Fanning born Bulla Victoria c1865 Info Sought
« on: Monday 14 January 19 00:02 GMT (UK) »
I have been searching for info on Catherine Doyle Fanning for a long time, with no success. She was born out of wedlock to Johanna Doyle in Bulla Victoria Australia c 1865. Her father was most likely my grgrgrandfather William Patrick Fanning. She was put up for adoption but apparently still used the name Doyle Fanning on some records. I don't know who she was adopted by. She had three siblings and one sibling who died. I have searched high and low and can't find her or her mother. She married and had children but to who I don't know. Any info much appreciated.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Doyle Fanning born Bulla Victoria c1865 Info Sought
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 January 19 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Is this the news story on which you base the belief that Johanna had a relationship with FANNING?
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/6480187
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KMF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 January 19 01:03 GMT (UK) »
This article and some information I was given by Catherine's grgrgrandaughter who contacted me in 2009. Unfortunately, she has never replied to any of my emails.
The grgrgrandaughter wrote that "My great great grandmother was Catherine Doyle Fanning born 1865 Bulla Victoria to Johanna Fanning, according to our family records she was placed for adoption, but she retained the name Fanning. With some of the records she names her father as being a William Fanning and her mother as being Johanna Doyle. There is also mention of other children, but unfortunately no christian names only that she has three siblings and one sibling that died."

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 January 19 02:50 GMT (UK) »
I guess you are aware that there is not a birth of Catherine DOYLE or FANNING born 1865 to Johanna DOYLE or FANNING registered on the Vic indexes.

Using offline resources, there is not a birth in that area to anyone of the surname FANNING or DOYLE. at or around that year.

To get help, or a bit of a start on this, you need to start from what you know and work backwards.

So, are you talking about your mother’s side or your father’s side?

Depending which side, what were the names of their parents.

You can get assistance to find the further details but I believe you are starting at the wrong place ;D

There are people and resources who will do their best to assist if given some concrete information.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KMF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 January 19 03:23 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately that's all the factual information I have re Catherine Doyle Fanning.

I have also looked at the Vic BDM indexes for birth & marriage records for Catherine and also death recs for her mother Johanna Doyle. I have looked in Bulla Cemetery listings and also immigration records and nothing fits so far. I have looked on familysearch.org. and Ancestry.

I have also tried to trace the grgrgranddaughter who contacted with no success. The name given was Sani Sanscri and the email was Australian. An unusual name. But can't find it anywhere.

William Fanning of Sunnyside Bulla, who found the baby's body, was my grgrgrandfather on my paternal side. I have mapped his ancestry extensively. He was born in 1812 in Thurles Co Tipperary to Edward Fanning and Judy Darmody. He married Catherine Hayes and they emigrated to Victoria in 1841 and eventually settled in Bulla. I have a blog where I have put all my family history> This isthe post related to the article on the body https://fanningfamilyhistory.com/index.php/2009/11/06/catherine-doyle-fanning-bulla/

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 January 19 10:33 GMT (UK) »
According to your blog, the deceased child was found in 1862 by Wm Fanning and Johanna Doyle had been dismissed a couple of months earlier.
I'm struggling to work out how Johanna Doyle had a child by Wm Fanning c 1865?
shume
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline KMF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 January 19 19:03 GMT (UK) »
It wasn't proven that the child found in the sack was fathered by William Fanning, although it seems quite possible, even likely. The body was found in 1862.
Catherine Doyle Fanning, according to her grgrgrandaughter, was born in 1865 in Bulla and she gave her father as William Fanning and mother as Johanna Doyle. It would seem that William continued his affair with Johanna.
I haven't been able to find any birth records for Catherine and as I don't know who adopted her or her married name I am hoping a descendant will see this post.

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 02:11 GMT (UK) »
I'm not fully familiar with Vic BDM, however I just did a search covering 3 years1864 to 1866, for births of Catherine with mother Johanna, no surnames,  and found 2 possibilities in 1864 . Perhaps recreate this search and see what you think.  I'm using a mobile device away from home so not sure how to link it. 

Regards
Jennaya

Offline KMF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 04:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking. I have spent ages on Vic BDM, trying all sorts of combinations, but none have led anywhere at this stage.