Author Topic: Naturalised British Citizen in 1840s  (Read 1111 times)

Offline gemmanoon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Naturalised British Citizen in 1840s
« on: Monday 14 January 19 06:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I would appreciate any advice on where to start looking for any records of British naturalisation occurring at some point between 1822 and 1851 for someone born in Russia.

The background:

Peter Johnson was born in 1822ish, apparently in Russia, and is listed as either a British subject or a British citizen on the 1851 - 1881 census returns. he lived in Liverpool at 92 New Hedley Street for that entire time and apparently worked for Mack and Durand for 40 years (he died in 1888), so his life in England has been relatively easy to look over. He married Margaret Martin in Liverpool in 1845, and I assume he started working for the above company around that time. They appear to have been Protestant, but both Peter and his daughter, Susan, convert to Catholicism at some point.

So, what I don't have is any information about his origins in Russia. It's possible that he gained naturalisation through a private act of parliament, but I don't even know what to start looking for in terms of titles, etc. Does anyone have any ideas for me? I appreciate it's a longshot, but it would be nice to solve this mystery.

Thanks!

Gemma

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Naturalised British Citizen in 1840s
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 January 19 06:28 GMT (UK) »
His parents/ British citizens could have been working in Russia and he was born there.
He would then have been a British subject by parentage.

When he married what was his fathers name and occupation on the marriage certificate.

ADDED, found the marriage his father is John Johnson a joiner, her father Peter Martin, customs officer

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 January 19 06:29 GMT (UK) »
 :)

I am interested in your quest. I have no knowledge of how you will be able to proceed, but I am sure there are many RChatters who will be able to help you, so I am wondering IF it is possible that although you know he was born in Russia, that perhaps he was born a British Subject by descent .... and thus would not have needed to be Naturalised when moving back to England...  JOHNSON as a surname doesn't seem to be Russian.

Similar thoughts to amondg  :)  ADD,  I think paternal line descent.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline gemmanoon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 January 19 06:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Amon, thanks majm.

I'm not holding out a lot of hope, but as you can see there are a few questions here. I think it's likely his parents are British, but the responses aren't consistent across the various census records.

Example:

1851: Armenia British Sub
1861: Russia
1871: Petersburgh B Subject
1881: Russia NBS (could say Prussia, to be fair).

So either he's just born out there to English parents, or his parents move and Anglicize their names.

I hate dead ends, and I've been stuck on this one for years!

Gemma 

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 January 19 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Could it be anglicised or was he born in a country that was once Russia but now is not?!?!  Perhaps Scandinavian?!

Bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline gemmanoon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 January 19 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Graham!

That's a great point, Bitzar. I actually don't know how large the Russian Empire was in 1840, although I do know it included Armenia, which is recorded at Peter's country of birth on at least one census.

Thanks for the ideas, folks. I have a feeling I won't get much further with this line sadly, but I won't give up just yet