Author Topic: William George Rollings arrival  (Read 516 times)

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
William George Rollings arrival
« on: Monday 14 January 19 07:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm scrapbooking again, I have been trying to find an arrival for William George Rollings, born 1816-18 in Essex, his death certificate says he arrived around 1841, in Victoria.

His wife Eliza nee Carman arrived in 1852 with her sister under the name of Hoyle on the Isle of Skye. They married in 1853 in Vic, I don't need any other information but I would like to find his arrival if possible.
I have considered that he may have arrived as a convict but can't find one that matches.

mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William George Rollings arrival
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 January 19 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Is this him?

Arrived 1849 on the DART from Cape of Good Hope

Criminal record at Public Record Office of Vic

Newspaper account of court hearing
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article200456988
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 January 19 10:46 GMT (UK) »
     There was a W Rollings, departed Victoria in 1852 for Hobart Town on the "Victoria Packet".     He was born 1917.     

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 02:39 GMT (UK) »
Cando,
 You are amazing, that has to be him if his wife is living at Bungil, via Wodonga. Tthis ffamily did n't have a lot of 'good things' for me to put in their scrapbook unfortunately.
Several unfortunate deaths, possibly linked to alcohol, and another incident which I have previously asked for help on. The family can't have had the best of lives if Dad was otherwise occupied, in Pentridge. This certainly gives me something to put in the book, people may not like it but I intend to put my own miscreants in my families book too.

Thanks heaps, mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 02:44 GMT (UK) »
There must be more in the papers about him then, if he was sent to Beechworth Goal and then Pentridge, he would have been in court locally.

Yes there is on trove The Bethanga Sheep stealing case, now , how do I shrink links on trove these days? There used to be a 'cite' button.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 03:34 GMT (UK) »
I've given the link to the Bethanga item on my post.

When you find an article TROVE you wish to link, go the the top left of the page to the word Details click on the icon to the left and I choose Article Identifier and right click and select copy link location  and paste to your post or other place of choice.   
You will see there are many ways of linking and sourcing your item of choice from the Details tab.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article200456988

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 04:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Cando,
I was so excited to see the photo of him that I missed the link. A lot of web pages have changed in the last few years while I haven't been doing a lot of searching, not all of them for the better either. Why use one click when you can make it three or four?

mum mum

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 04:56 GMT (UK) »
I agree.  There is another photo on the bottom of the record.  I'll snip that and add as an attachment.  I couldn't fit it all in my last link.

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 06:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks heaps Cando, it's almost as good as finding photos of my own family.