Author Topic: Find My Past Subscription  (Read 8357 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Find My Past Subscription
« Reply #54 on: Monday 17 May 21 19:03 BST (UK) »
Going  to  cost  us  no doubt  but  I can hardly wait.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 15:53 BST (UK) »
I check every now and then, but there don't seem to be many options to get a discount on FindMyPast.

However back in Sep 2019, I received an email from FindMyPast "80 years on, £80 access", with an unbeatable 50% discount offer (very likely a one off). So I immediately re-subscribed for £80 for the top tier for one year. Since it's expiry I have waited patiently in case of similar deals, but nothing has arisen, so I haven't re-subscribed to FindMyPast. In my opinion your really need access to newspapers (which the deal included), so the non-discount subsciption is a cost of £180, that's quite a lot of money! For casual researchers it's a big ask.

I agree, and I think Ancestry are much cannier about it.  They understand that many researchers reach a point where they are only making intermittent progress, either through lack of time, funds or simply having got about as far as they can at that point.  Ancestry take the view that it's better to get a little of our money than none.  Hence the generous offers when long-time subscribers cancel.
Ancestry also make it easy to subscribe for a month, which is handy when a new database is added, such as a particular set of parish records.  It's more difficult to find a month option with FindMyPast.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 15:58 BST (UK) »
You don't need to wait for ancestry to give you a generous offer, anyone can get half price using the offer that is mentioned often on here.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 01:45 BST (UK) »
You don't need to wait for ancestry to give you a generous offer, anyone can get half price using the offer that is mentioned often on here.

Most subscribers won't know about that, though.  But it proves my point that "Ancestry take the view that it's better to get a little of our money than none".
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline GaryMorton320

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 25 November 21 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Well it was quite a wait, but I have finally received an email from FindMyPast offering a 25% discount. The offer expires on the 28th of Nov. I thought I would mention it, just in case it might be of interest to anyone else, although you might need to get an email, or perhaps you can simply phone them up and ask for the offer?

I have been busy with other interests for the past few years, but I think that I will take up the offer, as it feels like time to re-kindle my interest in family tree research.

I do thank the local library, which offers access to FindMyPast, and which I used pre pandemic. Nevertheless it isn't as convenient as doing the research at home on your own computer.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 25 November 21 18:02 GMT (UK) »
The offer has been on their Header for a few days now, it has also been mentioned here
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=855683.msg7239824#msg7239824
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 25 November 21 19:23 GMT (UK) »

I do thank the local library, which offers access to FindMyPast, and which I used pre pandemic. Nevertheless it isn't as convenient as doing the research at home on your own computer.

Many libraries have been allowing library members access to their online content from the comfort of ones own home during the pandemic and still do now. This included access to whichever genealogy site they subscribe to. This was because the library wasn’t open. Ours and others from what I’ve read online,  are still offering that free home access, so it may be worth checking your own library to see what they are offering.
North East of England

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 25 November 21 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, getting back to helping out, how do I get back to the old days, when you looked up a likely candidate, and it would provide a transcription, with address, and family?
Now, I have to go into original to find family, quickly
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk