Author Topic: Interest in Ethnic Makeup of Jersey  (Read 1872 times)

Offline jersey2000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Interest in Ethnic Makeup of Jersey
« on: Monday 14 January 19 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Sorry this isn't a more specific question, but I've recently discovered that my biological grandfather came from Jersey and his family had been there for centuries. A question has since come up that I've researched a bit online but honestly to no avail. I know it's very near France but also has a strong English influence and is a crown dependency, so I'm wondering where the people of the island fit in ethnically. DNA testing has put my Jersey side as "Broadly Northwestern European" as well as English, but I don't see much of a connection to France. If anyone has some insight, I'd appreciate any info on my newfound Channel Islands heritage! Thanks so much!
Gibaut

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Interest in Ethnic Makeup of Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 00:39 GMT (UK) »
The links between Jersey and France are strong going back to at least the 13th century. From the 16th century to the early 19th century Jersey became the home for French religious refugees. Later in the 19th century the migrants were mainly agricultural workers from Brittany and Normandy. These later migrants spent their time between France and Jersey, working with the crops that were in season in both coutries but with many eventually settling in Jersey.