Author Topic: Tracking down service record  (Read 724 times)

Offline sss65

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracking down service record
« on: Monday 14 January 19 19:12 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping someone may be able to help me to understand some of the acronyms on this service record?
It is the record of my friends father from the 1st WW but he appears to have continued to serve after the war ended?
Hope someone can help?
I am trying to find where we might get hold of his records as we can't find him in the WW1 records?
He also went to canada for some time and this is probably part of his trade as a blacksmith? Again wanting to add some more detail if possible?

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tracking down service record
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 January 19 20:44 GMT (UK) »
This is part of the Royal Air Force record of a man who served in the Royal Flying Corps (Army) from 15 Feb 1918 and was in Egypt on 18 Feb 1918.  He had been in 1/1st Warwickshire Yeomanry from 23 Oct 1915 to 14 Feb 1918.  (There may be something before that , we may find that later)

When the RAF was formed on 1 April 1918 he was transferred to the RAF.  His medal entitlement was the British War Medal and the Victory medal and the 1914/1915 Star which he earned with the 1/1st War Yeo  the 1921 when he finished service, nothing unusual in that,  The 1922 dates were when his medals were sent.

More in a moment.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 January 19 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Could we see his name and date/place of birth if you have those please.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline sss65

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 January 19 22:28 GMT (UK) »
His name was Norman William Cranmer.
Born 20/5/1898 Shottery, Warwickshire, UK
Died 31 May 1953 Erdington, Birmingham, England.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 09:00 GMT (UK) »
You will find his full RAF record on Findmypast, you can get a pay as you go sub I believe or a local library may have access.
His previous army record would have been transferred to the RAF in April 1918, they are not with the on line army records. I have previously tried unsuccessfully to find out whether they are retained now by the RAF.

His medal records are on Ancestry, recording the 3 medals.  He went first to Egypt on 23 Oct 1915.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline sss65

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 January 19 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Max D thank you for your responses- it has helped a little to understand the dates etc. We already have the previous page of his records and that has the intriguing bit on it about his move to Canada which I have posted before. It states that he reilisted in 1924?
I am just helping a friend to try to get a clearer understanding of her father's service as she was really unaware of where he served etc and obviously now she has noone living to ask about it.
I did apply to the RAF to see if they had his records but they came back as a no. I wondered whether it was worth sending and asking the army section about the post WW1 records?

Offline Sc00p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 January 19 17:54 GMT (UK) »
A bit about his injury reported in the:
Warwick and Warwickshire Advertiser - Saturday 16 September 1916 p8
Norman Cranmer. Warwickshire Yeomanry, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. William Cranmer of Shottery is detained in the Military Hospital at Port Said suffering from a shrapnel wound in the knee. Norman Cranmer joined the Yeomanry in April 1915 and left England in October last for Egypt, and it was in an engagement on the 8th August that he met with his unfortunate mishap. In a letter to his parents he describes the sensation of a fifteen-mile camel ride over the desert from the scene of action to the hospital, where, we understand, he is making satisfactory progress towards recovery.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 January 19 19:33 GMT (UK) »
The record is quite clear that he joined the Royal Engineers in 1924 and gives his service number 1863426.  Therefore his records should indeed still be with the army and as it is your friend's father, she is his next of kin  and with his details and his death cert (and £30) they should be able to provide them.
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

There is another intriguing thing.  The address he gives in Canada is an army unit, A Squadron Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians).  He left England on 12 April 1921 on the vessel "Melita" bound for St John's New Brunswick initially.   The arrival is in the Canadian records which show his final destination but as we have his address we know where he went.  There is a nice website with info about the regiment:
https://web.archive.org/web/20100203201837/http://www.strathconas.ca:80/bmenu_history.php
I'll look into the situation regarding his Canadian records, they are not on line (only WW1 records are there).

I have sent you a PM.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk