Author Topic: History of the Riano Brothers / Dobbins  (Read 7016 times)

Offline BingoBuster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: History of the Riano Brothers / Dobbins
« Reply #90 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 21:02 GMT (UK) »
The townland will give you an exact location, then look in
Tithe Applotment lists, Wexford, (googleable) and Griffiths' Valuation
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/
for Furlongs and Cranes in the area. Crane is going to be tough to find because of the spelling variations. You might google for Wexford Griffiths Valuation and see if you can find transcripts because the site I gave you is kind of tough on spelling variations.

The Canadian records you want to find is the Drouin Collection, ancestry.com has them. - Catholic BMD. Tough to work with and often in Latin, but you might turn up the marriage and the first couple births in the family.

Thanks again for the feedback. I personally wasn't able to find anything initially, but I'll keep eliminating options as I go. Appreciate your help as always!

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 23:20 GMT (UK) »
from Reply #84

James L. Dobbins
1830 • County Cork, Ireland
12 OCT 1898 • Manhattan, New York, USA

Mary A. Cryan
18 JUL 1837 • Ballycullane, Tintern, Wexford, Ireland
6 SEP 1914 • Fulton, New York

-----------
I don't think James' death is correct, and I'm having second thoughts about Mary's birth.

First: there is a link earlier in this thread to an article that said James was living in Rome, NY, and suffering from pneumonia in 1903, when his sons returned home. So he didn't die in NY City in 1898.

As for Mary, the 1870 census has an older Mary Crine in the household who is old enough to be the mother of Mary (Cryan) Dobbins. Until you eliminate that possibility, the 1837 baptism register of a Mary Crane whose mother is Catherine Furlong is not her.

You need to find or send for the death records of both James and Mary. They might name their parents. Narrow down the time frame by finding them on the 1900, 1910 censuses, etc. Failing that, look for obituaries that might mention their parents, county of origin, and survivors.

I have a feeling this family knew where they were from and if the information was asked, it would probably be correct.

If it exists, the death record for Mary Crine would be important also, though she probably died before they asked for much information.

Offline BingoBuster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Thursday 17 January 19 13:19 GMT (UK) »
from Reply #84

James L. Dobbins
1830 • County Cork, Ireland
12 OCT 1898 • Manhattan, New York, USA

Mary A. Cryan
18 JUL 1837 • Ballycullane, Tintern, Wexford, Ireland
6 SEP 1914 • Fulton, New York

-----------
I don't think James' death is correct, and I'm having second thoughts about Mary's birth.

First: there is a link earlier in this thread to an article that said James was living in Rome, NY, and suffering from pneumonia in 1903, when his sons returned home. So he didn't die in NY City in 1898.

As for Mary, the 1870 census has an older Mary Crine in the household who is old enough to be the mother of Mary (Cryan) Dobbins. Until you eliminate that possibility, the 1837 baptism register of a Mary Crane whose mother is Catherine Furlong is not her.

You need to find or send for the death records of both James and Mary. They might name their parents. Narrow down the time frame by finding them on the 1900, 1910 censuses, etc. Failing that, look for obituaries that might mention their parents, county of origin, and survivors.

I have a feeling this family knew where they were from and if the information was asked, it would probably be correct.

If it exists, the death record for Mary Crine would be important also, though she probably died before they asked for much information.

I'm going to go through some of these. I know I may have some locations and dates mixed up with similar sounding or named people on another glance. But I'll see if I can find the means to try and find a copy of the certificates if that's possible. Thanks for pointing those out though. Appreciate it.