Author Topic: J Watt British WW1 medal  (Read 479 times)

Offline Elaine McGregor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
J Watt British WW1 medal
« on: Tuesday 15 January 19 02:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just wondering if someone can help.  My Grandmother Martha McAllister (nee Cardle) always wore a WW1 British Campaign Medal but never told us too much about it.  I now have it in my possession and wondered if someone could tell me what the letters that are engraved on the rim might mean so I can trace this person and find out why my Nanna had their medal.  The medal is a silver 1914-1918 medal with George V on the front.  The engraving reads   4 W.O.CL.2   J. Watt  BORD.R.    My family were from Liverpool UK.  Does anyone know what the letters mean?  Thanks for any help offered.
Elaine

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: J Watt British WW1 medal
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 07:32 GMT (UK) »
W.O. CL.2 = Warrant Officer Class 2.
Bord. R. = Border Regiment

J. Watt is the soldier's name.

There should be his Regimental Service Number, but it appears you only have the last digit - 4.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I think the letters stand for Warrant Officer Class 2 and that he was in the Border Regiment,
There is a service record for a James Watt   4324 Border Reg from Liverpool born c 1876 who appears to have had  a long army service and served in ww1 as a warrant Officer Class 2.
Father Thomas, brothers Thomas and Joseph, sister Elizabeth. He married Hannah West and had at least two children (both born abroad)
Of course there may be others that fit the bill.

Cathy :)
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 09:36 GMT (UK) »
That is just one of the three Great War medals that were the entitlement of 4324 James Watt who served in the Border Regiment from 1894 until May 1916.  As Cathy notes, his record and his medal records are on  line on Ancestry and Findmypast, well worth getting.

MaxD

PS  By one of those odd coincidences, there was another 4324 James Watt in the 20th Hussars frpm Perth who served a shorter time  - illustrates the regimental nature of service numbers at the time.  He did not serve in the Border regiment.

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Elaine McGregor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for that.  I will investigate whether they were relatives of ours and see what I can find out.  Much appreciated.