Author Topic: Engraver or Stationer London 1827-1837  (Read 973 times)

Offline Morris2013

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Engraver or Stationer London 1827-1837
« on: Tuesday 15 January 19 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am researching a William Fry (1813-1870) who was born in Bath, but who moved to London in about 1827 to serve an apprenticeship initially as a copper engraver with a publishing house of one George Shade Jnr of Saint Anne's Westminster. The information that he was indentured is from family papers in the National Library.

Later in life,  about 1837 he moved to Sheffield where he lived until his death and was initially described as a copper engraver and subsequently as a silver engraver.

George Shade, to whom he was apprenticed, amongst other things, published sheet music

From what I can tell there was no Guild of Engravers in London.  It may be that his apprenticeship may be recorded as part of the Guild of Stationers, but I am not sure where to access records despite searching on line.

Any help or advice you may offer would be welcome

Kind Regards

Morris
Hampshire UK

Online sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
Re: Engraver or Stationer London 1827-1837
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Take a look at ROLLCO - Records of London's Livery Companies Online.

https://www.londonroll.org/home

There are records for the Stationers' Guild (with Fry and Fryer entries), but check all others as it seems they could possibly be members of another guild.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline Morris2013

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the suggestion

I had searched there, but also returned after you suggested it. The only people whom it found had the letters 'fry' as part of their christian name and not Fry as a surname.

Regards

Morris

Offline JMCC99

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 August 21 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi There
The George Shade Jr to which you refer was i believe a son of Mr George A. Shade, a sheet music publisher and pianoforte seller with a shop in Soho square from approx 1790 to sometime around 1835 approx. 
His brother was a Mr Henry L Shade, who moved to Dublin around 1825 to open another 'branch' of the Shade music publishing and pianoforte sales business, where he settled until his death in 1874.

I know this because Henry was my great great grandfather, making George Jr my great great granduncle.

I also believe the London based Shades worked closely with a printing and publishing firm of Davison (or Davidson) and possibly that of William Lindsell, based in nearby Marylebone.

Not sure if any of that is of any use to you, but sometimes a hint will bring you down another avenue of information in your search !