Author Topic: No First MInister for Northern Ireland at the moment  (Read 1696 times)

Offline Raysgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
No First MInister for Northern Ireland at the moment
« on: Tuesday 15 January 19 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi I recently sent a request to the PRONI Office regarding admission records to Middletown Convent, I knew I was under the 100yr rule for releasing documents, I have had them waived before when I requested my Grandma's Asylum records. I am 4yrs under the  100yrs.   The records have been found which is great but because we have no First Minister for Ireland and the Dept. Of Communities every request is on hold. This is what Proni replied to me. A search of relevant records held by PRONI has now been completed and I can confirm that we hold certain information in relation to your request.
However, I must inform you that although PRONI does hold the information which you requested, we will be unable to complete your request at the present time, in the absence of the ‘appropriate Northern Ireland Minister’, which is to say, the Minister for the Department for Communities

PRONI has been notified by the Information Commissioner’s Office that the Department for Communities does not have the authority to complete the necessary consultation process with the Responsible Authority for requests for transferred public records in the absence of a Minister, as required under section 15(5) and section 66(2) of the Freedom of Information Act. PRONI will therefore be temporarily suspending FOIA requests until a new Minister has been appointed.

Hope this will soon be rectified, I am so excited to finally have tracked some documents down which will explain more of my Mum's story.

Davies,McMahon,Mullan,Mitchell,Haworth,Horrocks,Cocker,Crowther, Wood,Trainor.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: No First MInister for Ireland at the moment
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 15:09 GMT (UK) »
That should read, of course, no First Minister for Northern Ireland? ;D

The Republic of Ireland still has a functioning Government, including President and Taoiseach.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 16:21 GMT (UK) »
That should read, of course, no First Minister for Northern Ireland? ;D

The Republic of Ireland still has a functioning Government, including President and Taoiseach.

My first thought was it must be breaking news. Radio 4 is on, just heard news and there was no mention of Leo Vradker resigning.   ??? Admittedly I left the room for a minute during news bulletin so might have missed it. Thought for a moment he was another victim of Brexit.

Cowban

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone carried out a poll to see what proportion of the population of NI would be in favour of a united Ireland?  It could be a small price to pay to escape from Mrs Maybe's mayhem.
Heretical suggestion, I know!
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone carried out a poll to see what proportion of the population of NI would be in favour of a united Ireland?  It could be a small price to pay to escape from Mrs Maybe's mayhem.
Heretical suggestion, I know!

The BBC did one a couple of years back, interviewing something like 10,000 people (so hopefully a meaningful sample) and the outcome there was around 62% in favour of staying part of the UK. I can’t find a link to that poll but no doubt someone more adept than me may find it.

The curious thing about there being no Government is that, apart from issues like this PRONI problem, the province has run fairly well for 2 years without any government at all. Obviously the Civil Servants are paying the bills etc in the Government’s absence but it makes you wonder what the MLAs achieve when they are there. But at least they are still getting their salaries. That’s the important thing.
Elwyn

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Raysgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Apologies  everyone of course it should read No first Minister for Northern Ireland.  I remember the poll that was done a few years ago and it was  slightly in favour of staying as a member of the United Kingdom. Anne.
Davies,McMahon,Mullan,Mitchell,Haworth,Horrocks,Cocker,Crowther, Wood,Trainor.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Found this one for 3 years ago
https://www.joe.ie/news/opinion-united-ireland-is-not-just-about-sentiment-and-passions-its-the-economy-stupid-518488
3 years is a long time ago in the present political maelstrom. The past may be a different country.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Apologies  everyone of course it should read No first Minister for Northern Ireland. 
You should be able to change the title.
Cowban