Author Topic: minsteracres  (Read 1839 times)

Offline gedmax

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: minsteracres
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 January 19 19:29 GMT (UK) »
I've just tried familysearch and looked at the tree beside one of the baptisms.  I discovered a different Mary Elrington as the mother so I am getting confused.  The marriage details didn't have parents on it but I've always assumed that Mary was daughter of Silas Elrington especially as he died at Letch where they lived. Silas' children were baptised either Bywell, Shotley or Whittonsall, with some living at Unthank.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 January 19 19:45 GMT (UK) »
The baptism of Jacob Milburn, 14 Jan 1816, parents Joannis and Maria Milburn, Bywell St Peter's, records his mother's maiden name as Elrington ie. "olim Elrington". 

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 January 19 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your replies.  I did try and view the original records on family search when they were available.  I wish I knew why they are hidden now as they were very useful. but I don't remember Minsteeracres being available.  I did work my way through Bywell, and I do have a fiche of Bywell transcriptions as well.

The LDS have the images, but they also have an agreement with the holders of the records which sometimes precludes them making the images generally available.
As I said before if you live near an LDS Family History Centre you will be able to view them there. Otherwise I imagine the original records are held at Northumberland Archives, where they can be viewed if you can get there.

Boo

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 18 January 19 21:13 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast - baptised Bywell St Peter's, parents Joannis and Maria Milburn/Milbourn/Milbourne/Milburne - all with mother's maiden name Elrington

Jacob, 2 Dec 1808
Elisabeth, 1 Apr 1810
Anna, 12 Dec 1811
Thomas, 12 Dec 1813
Jacob, 14 Jan 1816
Joannes, 15 Mar 1818
Maria, 9 Jun 1820
Robertus, 4 May 1823

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 January 19 11:11 GMT (UK) »
baptised Bywell St Peter's, parents Joannis and Maria Milburn/Milbourn/Milbourne/Milburne - all with mother's maiden name Elrington

For some reason FindMyPast has these baptisms indexed as Bywell St Peter, which is misleading as this was the Anglican Parish.

This particular group of baptisms all took place at Minsteracres which was Roman Catholic.

Does a family have to be roman catholic to have children baptised there or was it just convenient? The parents were married in Bywell St Peter. The children who subsequently married did so in church of England and most later baptisms were C of E.

My g-g-g grandparents married at Bywell St Andrew and had four children baptised there. The next five were baptised at Minsteracres. Of the five baptised at Minsteracres two died young, and the remaining three went on to marry in Anglican churches, as did their siblings.

I really have no idea why four were baptised in an Anglican church and five in a Roman Catholic. There are all sorts of possibilities  :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 January 19 12:04 GMT (UK) »
If you still need anything from Woodhorn I plan to be there on Wednesday as usual and, so far, don't have anything to do.  Give me a list and I'd be happy to do the look-ups for you

Christine