Author Topic: Trinidad Records WW2  (Read 602 times)

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trinidad Records WW2
« on: Tuesday 15 January 19 19:44 GMT (UK) »
I am anxious to track records of my father in law in Trinidad during WW2.

He arrived there late 1942, I believe as a person rescued from a torpedeod ship.  He spent some time at the racecourse, which i understand had been set to aid such people.  He was befriended by a man called Kenneth Simpson, who apparently worked as a recruitment officer for the US Army/  Dad joined the crew of a ship called DELAMAR that need time in the cry dock in Barbados and so Dad spent Xmas/New Year 1942/3 on that island.
Any information about how to trace any surviving records would be appreciated.
Casey, Cunningham Burt Glasgow & Ireland,
Dobell, Bridgeman, London
Deavin London and France

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Trinidad Records WW2
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Was you father in law a British Merchant Seaman? If so, do you have his form CRS 10? This will tell you all the vessels he served on from early 1941.
I cannot find any vessel in 1942 with the name DELAMAR.
There were two ships with the name DELMAR. 1/ A US flagged tanker, the other a Canadian vessel trading in the Pacific North West.
There was also a London (UK) registered coastal tanker named DELAVAR.

For the sake of progress. Trinidad was a major oil exporter in WW2 so I suggest he may have had a berth on the US Tanker. It may be worth your while searching US Ancestry to see if you can find him.
https://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=60882&geo_a=r&geo_s=us&geo_t=us&geo_v=2.0.0&o_xid=62916&o_lid=629

What you need is the name of the ship he was on when he was allegedly torpedoed. This should be in the Crew Agreement of the US tanker.
If you obtain this, in turn, the Crew Agreement and Logbook of this ship, may give you a few clues as to his where abouts.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trinidad Records WW2
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 17:45 GMT (UK) »
        Was you father in law a British Merchant Seaman? If so, do you have his form
        CRS 10? This will tell you all the vessels he served on from early 1941.....

Hi Seaweed,
In answer to your question yes Dad was a British Merchant Seaman but only, apparently from 5/44 according to what I have of his CRS 10 (A sore point there.  When we went to Cardiff years back they claimed his CRS 10 did not go back prior to this date as the previous vessel was Panamanian registered).  The CRS 10 then logs all ships through to his return to the UK post war.
Earlier in the war, Dad was in Singapore, possibly as a Royal Artillery Gunner, however when  he escaped we have evidence that he was wearing Navy Whites!  Further how he got from Padang to Trinidad is a complete mystery.  So I have a gap in his story from circa 1 March 1942 to Christmas 1942 which is a complete blank!
I can tell you that Delamar was some sort of coast hugging tug that plied a trade shipping bauxite from British Guyana and neighbouring countries through to the US and the West Indies.  If my memory serves I do have a photocopy of a Lloyds register movement card for Delamar covering the period Dad was on it, but, of course that does not tell me where he was before.  I am just trying to fill the gap.
So you can see Dad was a bit of a mystery!  If you are interested there is an account of Dad's escape from Singapore here.                                 
   http://www.roll-of-honour.org.uk/s/html/stringer-dominic-michael.htm
Casey, Cunningham Burt Glasgow & Ireland,
Dobell, Bridgeman, London
Deavin London and France