Author Topic: Benjamin Kingman sentenced to life and sent to New South Wales  (Read 2294 times)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Kingman sentenced to life and sent to New South Wales
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Benjaman Kingman, along with seven other men, was found guilty of CR (whatever that was  ??? ) at Horsham Assizes 28th March 1803.  All were sentenced to life in NSW.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 11:35 GMT (UK) »
From FindMyPast's records it appears that Benjamin Kingman and George Mitchell were transferred from the prison hulk "Portland" at Portsmouth to the "Coromandel" 1 Oct 1803.

Offline Tom from OZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to everyone for your responses that just about wraps it up for Benjamin, unless somebody knows what CR means. Will continue to search for him after 1805.

Thanks

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 22:51 GMT (UK) »
I wonder .... are we sure it reads "CR"   as err I thought CR was for  .... Criminal Register and that really does not make good sense if I substitute into

Benjaman Kingman, along with seven other men, was found guilty of CR (whatever that was  ??? ) at Horsham Assizes 28th March 1803.  All were sentenced to life in NSW.

May I also ask similar question to wivenhoe .... 

What happened next....after he was pardoned in 1805?

You must know more about him to have any interest in him at all?

Serving such a short time on a life sentence sounds as though it was more important to remove him from Britain than to punish him. He was not to be a martyr to a cause?. Is he a political prisoner?

If you are just generally looking through records, do you see any other prisoner from the Coramandel treated similarly?

And, don't forget that an Absolute Pardon means just that ... Absolute ... as in totally restored to pre conviction status .... so free to return to Britain as opposed to Conditional Pardon ... usual condition was free to move anywhere EXCEPT not allowed back to the country where originally convicted.... 

So in 1805 ... where could Benjamin travel to ... well in NSW, there was a penal settlement at Sydney, and one at Parrmatta and one at Newcastle .... and it was a trip by boat from Sydney to Parramatta, and again by boat to Newcastle .... or perhaps he took a passage on an empty ship out of Sydney returning from dropping off convicts or garrison forces ... these in those early 1800s could sail off to South Africa or off to China or the Sub-continent ... seeking cargo to sell back in Britain.... or he could remain in NSW or go to Van Diemens Land ...

But I cannot find him in NSW under that name after 1805.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Snip showing that there were six trials on 28 March 1803, and the newspaper reporter thought these were  not worth reporting .... errr ... he had a Murder Trial commencing 29th March under that Judge, and his report on that trial is the 'next' paragraph on that page.

Tom, I assume you are in Australia, if so, you could consider a National Library of Australia readers card, no charge, and gives online access to Gale newspapers....

ADD https://www.nla.gov.au/app/eresources/ 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 23:48 GMT (UK) »
1803, a chap surnamed KINGMAN, burglar, and mention of Horsham Gaol

The Hampshire Chronicle, etc (Hampshire, England), Monday, February 07, 1803; pg. 4;
Info about an Edward KINGMAN, with others, and he ends up at Horsham Gaol. 

On Monday, two of the robbers who burglariously entered the house and shop of Mr Lashmar, of Chiddingly, named Coggins and Mitchell, were taken at Ticehurst, and the same day brought to Lewes, where they underwent and examination before H T Shadwell Esq who committed them for further examination.  When taken, a horse pistol, laden with slugs, and most of the stolen property were found upon them.  Edward Kingman, an accomplice, was on Wednesday taken at Maidstone, in Kent, and the next day also brought to Lewes, and committed to the House of Correction.  E. Kingman is by trade a blacksmith, and a native of Chiddingly, where he had the audacity to remain after the robbery, on Sunday se’nnight till noon, and was actually relieved by one of the Overseers, without the least suspicion of his guilt.  Coggins and Mitchell have confessed themselves the persons who, some months since robbed T. Fuller, the Boreham carrier, on the Dicker, on suspicion of which Jones was taken up, and fully committed to Horsham Gaol for trial…  They mentioned several circumstances which render the truth of their confession extremely probable…

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 January 19 01:44 GMT (UK) »
There is plenty of info available on the George MITCHELL chap who was named in that cutting .... he eventually received a Conditional Pardon in 1821.... so I suspect Benjamin KINGMAN and Edward KINGMAN are likely to be the same chap... simply mis-recorded or mis-transcribed back in the early 1800s ...

JM

Offline Tom from OZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 19 January 19 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to everyone who contributed, will continue the search for Benjamin

Tom