Author Topic: Origin of Jeffreys in Polwarth  (Read 2025 times)

Offline USCRx

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Origin of Jeffreys in Polwarth
« on: Wednesday 16 January 19 05:18 GMT (UK) »
I've been researching my 'Jeffrey' ancestors, and have traced them back to the 1650s in Polwarth. I'm very interested in the origin of the Jeffreys, and have come up with the following from various sources:
“There is a tradition in the family that the Jeffreys came from France with William the Conqueror, and settled in Great Britain. I understand there are old records in Swinton House showing that Jeffreys, as blacksmiths, have been in Riselaw or in the district for fully 600 years.”
“A Constant Reader,” The Berwick Journal, 19 January 1888
“Berwickshire is full of Jeffreys – we are told the name stems from the Norman Geoffre.”
Violet James
London, England 1985
“Most of the Jeffreys were blacksmiths, and they had practically a monopoly on blacksmithing in the southeast fringe of Scotland. There is a tale that they were JAFFRAYs, French armourers. It would certainly seem that all of them were somehow related.”
Harriet D. Jeffrey, Yarker, Ontario, Canada 1990

Does anyone have any information or comments about these possible origins? Especially since I've I recently read in "Duns - Burgh on the Merse," by James Denham (2016):

"In the 17th century, the population [of Polwarth] was increased when a number of Walloon and French Huguenots arrived in the parish fleeing persecution in their own countries. They too had embraced the teaching of John Calvin and, like the Scots, they too denounced Roman Catholic ways. They brought with them at least one new industry, tanning, which became an important source of work to the local people which blended in well with the established local shoe making industry."

Thanks for any thoughts!

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Origin of Jeffreys in Polwarth
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 January 19 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I have no answer to your question, but was your ancestor by any chance the William JAFFRAY who was hauled up before the Polwarth kirk session in January 1657 (with three of his pals) for the heinous crime (after attending church), of playing curling on a sabbath?   :)
Regards,

Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline USCRx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 January 19 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Wow, Lesley! I hope they excommunicated him!
You don't, by any chance, have an image of this discipline by the church, do you?

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 January 19 22:27 GMT (UK) »
I do have the image, which I will send by PM. The transcript is as follows:
'Jan 18th
Compeared Katharine Hume & confessed that lately upon the sabbath day she had carried in some cabbage to her daughter in Dunse. Ordains for the next sabbath day to give public evidence of her repentance.
Jan 25th
Katharine Hume did publicly upon her knees confess her sin in profaning the sabbath and promised amendment. William Jeffray, Robert Sanderson, James & George Holiday delated for going to the Ice upon the sabbath day.
Feb 1
Compeared Robert Sanderson, William Jeffray, George & James Holidays & confessed that going forth to take the air on the sabbath after both sermons they walked a turn or two upon the ice & rolled some stones upon it which they found lying there. They were rebuked for spending the sabbath unprofitably & exhorted hereafter to make greater conscience of sanctifying the holy sabbath.’

You don't say if he's yours or not?
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline USCRx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 January 19 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Lesley, you could attach it to an email to my address: JimJeffrey@sbcglobal.net, if that would be easier.
Well, my earliest found ancestor is a John Jeffrey, 'smith,' who married a Alison Swanstoun on 18 December, 1656 in Polwarth. I don't have birth dates for either of them. They had at least 5 children, and at the baptisms of all of them a 'William Jeffrey' is a witness. I have assumed that he must be a relative, and surmise that he might be John Jeffrey's father. If so, this William would have to be in his 40s when disciplined for 'curling.' So . . . am not sure. But there are quite a few 'Jeffreys' in Polwarth in the 1650s, so this 'curling' Jeffrey could be someone else.

Offline CatsC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 June 22 21:51 BST (UK) »
The Jeffrey's of Polwarth descend from Alexander Jaffray of Kingswells House/Estate in Aberdeenshire. Quite the interesting family. Alexander was twice burgess of Aberdeen and fought at the Battle of Dunbar. His diary has been published and is easy to find. He was also a Quaker.

Alexander Jaffray was married to a Jean Dun/e. The line goes back through Alexander Joffray and Cristen Burnet, daughter of Alexander Burnet 4th Baron & 9th Laird of Leys and Lady Janet Hamilton, passing back through King James 11, King James 1 of Scotland, etc.

I have the whole lineage back to the year oatcake if you are interested. They are my great.......grandparents.

Oh, and the last witch to be burned in Dundee was Grissel Jaffray, an affluent lady from the same family.

Offline CatsC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 June 22 21:56 BST (UK) »
I meant to add, John Jeffray and Alison Swanstoun of Polwarth are a direct hit for me too. Guess that makes us cousins  ;). Yes, I have the whole lineage if you are still interested.

Offline USCRx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 June 22 23:14 BST (UK) »
Interesting. You might be interested to know, I spoke with a Scottish genealogist about John Jeffray, and her was her comment:
There is also a possibility that this John Jeffray married a Alison Swanstoun on 18 December 1656 at Polwarth Kirk. But Alison Swanstoun is also recorded as being married a second time to John Thompson on 7 June 1661 in Polwarth, so this probably means that her first husband, a John Jeffray, died. It is not possible to know absolutely if she or Janet Jeffray was the mother of John Jeffray, smith’s children. Lesley Abernathy, who is a guide at Mellerstain House in the Scottish Borders, and is writing a biography of Lady Grisell Baillie, daughter of Sir Patrick Hume of Polwarth, has said the following: “I think the interval between John Jeffray and Janet Jeffray's marriage and Alexander Jeffray's birth (~ 6 months) is perfect for the very frequent kind of hasty marriage 5 or 6 months before a birth so, personally, I do think it likely that Janet Jeffray is Alexander's mother. It is just possible that Alison Swanstoun could be, as Alexander's birth is the only one which falls in the period of her marriage to John Jaffrey, but the continuing designation of 'smith' in subsequent births makes it seem likely that Alexander's father did not die shortly after his birth.”

Offline CatsC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 04:06 BST (UK) »
WOW! Just 'WOW'  ::) Guessing your Scottish genealogist has not read the books nor diary's...........nor delved into the Jaffray history.

Do forgive me, but I am an historian and a direct descendant with the complete tree/history at my disposal. Backed up by very many other historians, books, history, documents etc.

??? ???