Author Topic: Sutherland  (Read 795 times)

Offline Nfisher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sutherland
« on: Wednesday 16 January 19 05:58 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for a Hugh Sutherland. He came to Colonial America to fight in the French and Indian War. He stayed and changed his name to James Smith in the New York area. Any info would be appreciated. He is my 5th great grandfather .
Thank You,
Nina Smith-Fisher

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sutherland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat - can you post his birth year and what year he went to America - and where was he born ?? was it Scotland - do you have a name of his wife ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Nfisher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Sutherland
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 00:10 GMT (UK) »
no birth date Just Hugh Sutherland aka James Smith
Wife is Anna Catherina Conrad
Not even sure where they were married I know they are buried in New York.
I found this in SURNAMES OF EARLY PINE PLAINS
RESIDENTS
SMITH, James, was the ancestor of the families of that name who settled on the borders of Pine Plains and Ancram, principally in ancram. He was a Highland Scotchman, his true name Hugh Sutherland. By this name he emigrated to this country a soldier in the King's army about the middle of the last century, during the French and Indian wars. Later he deserted the King's army and joined the American army as James Smith to avoid detection and the penalty of desertion. He settled on the hill in the south part of Ancram, on the farm recently owned by Isaac Smith before his decease, one of his descendants, and where the three sons of alias James Smith, Daniel I., Alexander and John, were born. Daniel I. lived and died on the old farm. His sons were Peter, John, Aaron, (see above,) Eli, Isaac and Daniel. His daughters were Nelly, Caty and Betsey. All these except Isaac and Daniel married in families not far from the homestead locality, and have left many descendants. The majority of the descendants in this locality are from the Daniel I. Smith branch who was born about 1759
Daniel I is in my family tree.
Thank You,
Nina Smith-Fisher