Author Topic: Railways practice and Lengthsmen  (Read 1618 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Railways practice and Lengthsmen
« on: Wednesday 16 January 19 06:42 GMT (UK) »
I am researching a family member who was a Lengthsman on the Queensland railways. 
For example in 1895 and according to the Electoral Roll of that year he was located at 19-Gang, S & W Railway at what was described as a Residence.

He was married and had 3 young children.  It seems 19-Gang, S & W Railway was near Dalby in Queensland. I think S & W Ralway is the Southern and Western Railway. 

I am hoping someone will know if it was common practice for a married man and his family to live together whilst he carried out his activities as a lengthsman? 

Based on what I have been able to glean to date a Lengthsman was responsible for maintenance of a length of railway.  If this is correct then its likely the residence referred to in the Electoral Roll was an actual building rather than a temporary shelter and if so then it makes sense his wife and young children lived at the residence.

i had a look at the site you included and his name wasn't there.  I'm assuming he perhaps was employed by the local Council rather than by the Railways which may account for his apparent omission from the list of Railway Employees.  The railway employees occupations seemed specific to the operation of the trains rather than the maintenance of the railway however this is just my initial impression. 

In addition is there a seminal book that described the early days in the development of the rail and the maintenance of same?  This would be also useful in understanding the life of Robert Henry TURNER and his family. 

Westy

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Railways practice and Lengthsmen
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 07:00 GMT (UK) »
I can’t see him on these lists:

http://fhr.slq.qld.gov.au/qldrail/

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 07:05 GMT (UK) »
copyright image removed

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 10:04 GMT (UK) »
I am confident that the qualification 'residence" refers to a period of time at the one locality rather than indicating a home.    It would be a .minimum number of months ... six if In NSW in that era ....
.not sure of QLD rules..  no females on Qld rolls until
1900s

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.