Author Topic: Searching for Peter EBERLE, born c'1832 Prussia  (Read 3336 times)

Online spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Peter EBERLE, born c'1832 Prussia
« Reply #27 on: Friday 18 January 19 22:58 GMT (UK) »
And thanks, Rosie, for the nugget in this marriage:

Louisa Christina Elizabeth Eberle age 20 spinster father Peter Eberle occupation  baker
Frank Swann/Swain age 27 widower occupation bricklayer father George Swain ( deceased )
Witnesses Harry Swain and Louisa Eberla signature hard to make out possibly her mother
Marriage date 8 April 1883 Richmond St John Surrey England

So if this was her mother Louisa, it shows that she was still alive and living in England in 1883. I had wondered if had died.

So why wasn't she and Peter together, and why did he describe himself as a widower in the 1881 Census?

There was a valid reason Peter EBERLE might have stated in the 1869 Armed Constabulary Roll that he was single: unmarried men were preferred. And his statement that his next-of-kin Louisa Eberle was in Stockstettin, Prussia, might indicate that she was visiting there in 1868 or 1869, perhaps.

It appears that the relationship broke up. If this occured as early as 1861/62 it might be the motive for Peter to seek his fortune in New Zealand, in whatever form.

He was certainly a valued member of the Armed Constabulary Force as a 2nd Class Sergeant, as this letter from his Supervisor shows:

Armed Constabulary
Te Onepoto Station
3rd November 1873
Sir,
I have the honor to bring under your notice the Non Commissioned officer named in the margin, with a hope that you will recommend him to the Commissioner for promotion.
[Margin notation: No. 54 - 2/c Sergeant Peter EBERLE]
The Sergeant has been five years in the force with a clean defaulters sheet, four years of which he has been a 2/c Sergeant.
The Sergeant is in every degree deserving of promotion, and I have no hesitation in saying, should he not elect to reengage under the three years’ service system that he would be difficult to replace.
I may add that he has proved himself to be capable of carrying out the duties of a responsible situation, he having had charge of Te Marumaru Station for three months.
I have the honor to be
Sir
Your most obedient Servant
Charles Fervis
Sub. Inspr  A.C.F.
In charg Station

Spades

ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 19 January 19 16:52 GMT (UK) »
If this is the same person have not been able to find a record of him returning to the UK on the 1878 incoming records  ???..Did find a record of the Baptism for Louisa Christina Elizabeth Eberle
Gives her birth date as 27/7/1862
Baptism date 2/11/1862
Address 45 King Street St Giles in the fields Holburn England
Father John Eberle occupation baker
Mother Louisa

Not been able to find your Peter on the 1871 census or a death  ???..and no death for the wife also

There is a Peter Eberle in the electoral records from 1881 -1883 address Jamaica Street Bermondsey ...
So another Hmmmmm

Rosie

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 19 January 19 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi again.

Still hog tied at home and bored so doing a lot of online reading. As I don't subscribe to the genealogy sites, I'm wondering if anyone with a FAMILY SEARCH subscription has checked out the name in the Pomerania Church records 1544 - 1945.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1874205

At Stettin (Szcecin) in the early 1850 there was major land reforms and industrial factories through out Europe were drawing families to the big cities. Grain wise there was either too much or not enough depending on the seasons and world trade. Traditionally cereals where shipped out from Stettin to the UK etc. A young baker following the wheat ?? May be even taking his 'girl' with him. In the same period children as young as 10 to 12 were left for months on end to herd family animals.

Adventure and the prospect of a better life ahead.

Alan.

Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Online spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 19 January 19 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Morning Alan,

Thanks for that very useful background information.

Morning Rosie,

Thanks for the baptism information. Peter EBERLE was still in New Zealand in 1871, so he won't appear in the UK Census, but that will be him 1881-83 in Jamaica Street!

I have created a file with a timeline of his life events. I'll try to attach it here.

Spades

HEALEY - IRL?
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 21 January 19 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Afternoon.

Wishing to learn more about the two probable address locations in reply #2, I approached Berlin-Bob via a PM, for suggestions re looking up 1860’s local area names [parishes etc] when two spellings [German or Polish] could be involved, and names changed over time, when a village grows to become a busy trading and industrial city.

His reply in part states, “There is a German website GOV, Geschichtle OrtsVerzeichnis (Historical Place names Catalog) where you can find a lot of information on old place names http://gov.genealogy.net/search/name.”.....................

Plus, “Allowing for english-hearing ears and foreign pronunciations,
Preuszen Krentzas might be "Szczecin-Kraśnica" http://gov.genealogy.net/item/show/KRAECKJO73HM.

And Preuszen Tonernesberch might be "Stettin-Torney, Szczecin-Turzyn" http://gov.genealogy.net/item/show/TORNEYJO73GK “"

[Transferred and republished on the forum, with Berlin-Bob’s permission.]

This information, plus further research notes, and a MYHERITAGE possible contact for Peter EBERLE’s handy to Szczecin, have been conveyed to ‘spades’ by private correspondence, for him to pursue at his leisure.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Online spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 01:41 GMT (UK) »
And thanks again, very much, Alan. ;D 8)

I'll see where it goes.

Thanks to everyone who contributed. I'll post any further findings, but I think my original questions have been addressed.

Spades
HEALEY - IRL?
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 06:47 GMT (UK) »
He certainly is a mystery and Louisa ...not seeing anything at all ...
On the 1881 Census he says he is a widower ? ..
If that is Louisa as a witness on the daughters marriage can't find her on the 1881 Census
Also the daughter Louisa ..tried all different variations of names

Can't find Richard in 1881  ??? most probably in USA

If you want me to send you any of these records PM me

Rosie