Author Topic: Were your ethnicity estimates a surprise?  (Read 5982 times)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Were your ethnicity estimates a surprise?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 19 January 19 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Just for fun, here's my ethnicity breakdown from MyHeritage -

Irish, Scottish, and Welsh
    60.2%
    Scandinavian
    19.3%
    Finnish
    4.9%
    Iberian
    6.8%
    Italian
    2.1%
    Baltic
    4.7%
    North African
    1.0%
    Nigerian
    1.0%

What doesn't show up there is the 3% Jewish Diaspora - Sephardic, and the West Middle East trace element <2% allotted me by FTDNA. I imagine these are subsumed into my MyHeritage 6.8% Iberian. Think of all the centuries of occupation by the Moors from North Africa, and Jews were also welcomed in the Moorish kingdom of Spain, in contrast to their treatment later after the Reconquista.

Harry

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 19 January 19 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Harry, I know it isn't for taking seriously, but you are a real "Heinz 57".  From earlier correspondence I've always thought you were 80%+ NE England.

My parents both came from the Hartlepool. Their parents, i.e. my four grandparents, all came from that same town as well. When I started my research I was sure that I had solid ancestry in that one area. Once I started going further back I found that none of my earlier ancestors came from that town and in fact not even from that part of the country. It just depends how far you go back.  In the same way that I referred to towns and counties, the same applies to countries, or even continents.

Martin

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 19 January 19 14:59 GMT (UK) »
My parents both came from fishing families in adjacent villages in the East Neuk of Fife, near St. Andrews. My father's ancestors were almost entirely from that area, with one exception who seems to have come from Perthshire, not very far away. So, pretty homogeneous, and as Fife was part of ancient Pictland or "Caledonia", I wasn't surprised to be told that my particular variety of YDNA R1b-L21 (common as muck in western Europe), was R1b-Pictish. From the evidence of place-names and personal names, the Picts seem to have spoken a form of Celtic close to Welsh. Their former territories have for example lots of Aber- names, whereas the western areas settled by Gaels from Ireland have Inver-.
My mother's family-tree is more diffuse, but even there, ancestors from Northumberland, the Scottish Borders and Northern Ireland don't explain all the fancy bits and pieces in my DNA ethnicity breakdown.
Harry

Online melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 19 January 19 18:19 GMT (UK) »
My parents both came from fishing families in adjacent villages in the East Neuk of Fife, near St. Andrews. My father's ancestors were almost entirely from that area, with one exception who seems to have come from Perthshire, not very far away. So, pretty homogeneous, and as Fife was part of ancient Pictland or "Caledonia", I wasn't surprised to be told that my particular variety of YDNA R1b-L21 (common as muck in western Europe), was R1b-Pictish. From the evidence of place-names and personal names, the Picts seem to have spoken a form of Celtic close to Welsh. Their former territories have for example lots of Aber- names, whereas the western areas settled by Gaels from Ireland have Inver-.
My mother's family-tree is more diffuse, but even there, ancestors from Northumberland, the Scottish Borders and Northern Ireland don't explain all the fancy bits and pieces in my DNA ethnicity breakdown.
Harry
Harry, I think a lot of people have had some odd results with MyHeritage, if you look at the identical twin thread, they seemed to give very different results to 23andme and ancestry which were in broad agreement

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=806803.0

Have you tested with ancestry or 23andme?

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 19 January 19 18:34 GMT (UK) »
No, just with FTDNA, and a genealogist relative uploaded my results to MyHeritage.

Years ago, when this was a very new science, like other Brits I initially tested with Oxford Ancestors but their DNA tests were quite superficial, just giving you your haplogroup and nothing else.

One of the puzzling things about MyHeritage is that they don't allot me any English DNA, although I have proven ancestors (Stephenson) from Northumberland in relatively recent times. Unless that strain of my DNA is indistinguishable from the Scottish component.

Harry

Offline Bambi1st

• RootsChat Extra
  • Life is short ,live it x
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 19 January 19 21:04 GMT (UK) »
I'm waiting to hear from mine soon ,I'm excited but also hope it has the results I am after that I am mainly of Irish decent ,heaven knows what I will do if I am not ,down will come the shillelagh and bow my head in shame if I am not  :o
Keane. Ward. Slucock. Simmons.

Offline Bambi1st

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 16:23 GMT (UK) »
I have had my results but as it was by email I found it confusing ,did anybody else find this .

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 16:27 GMT (UK) »
I have had my results but as it was by email I found it confusing ,did anybody else find this .

Who were you tested by?  Most sites give you more details if you login to your membership/DNA page.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Bambi1st

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 25 January 19 19:18 GMT (UK) »
I was tested by Ancestry DNA a christmas gift from my son .