Author Topic: 73 new Irish regions on Ancestry DNA  (Read 2098 times)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
73 new Irish regions on Ancestry DNA
« on: Wednesday 16 January 19 11:47 GMT (UK) »
"We’re continually developing our DNA science to ensure it remains as accurate and detailed as possible. With 73 new regions in Ireland taking it to a total of 92, we’ve brought even more detail to your results.

This update may connect you to additional new regions or migration stories, so make sure to check it out. Also, why not delve into our family history records to see what you can discover?"

https://blogs.ancestry.co.uk/ancestry/2019/01/09/launch-new-dna-regions-ireland/

The regions that I got tied in with what I'd already managed to ascertain from genealogical work and my Irish matches so it does look like there is a fair amount of accuracy.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 73 new Irish regions on Ancestry DNA
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 18:28 GMT (UK) »
I got an email about this today, with regards to my husband's reported 43% Irish heritage. When I clicked on the ethnicity report, it was exactly the same as before, with no added regions at all.

He certainly hasn't got 43% Irish and Scottish heritage, his great grandfather and possibly his ancestors, were from Ireland. By my reckoning that's about 12.5% Irish.

Mind you, they do have the caveat when clicking for further details 'Range 0 - 43%' so I can't complain!!

His other 57 %, England, Wales & Northwestern Europe, on clicking says 'Range 57% - 88%' - the 88% sounds just about right.

Still a way to go.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 18:33 GMT (UK) »
That's odd sugarfizzle. Have you definitely switched to the updated ancestry results? Someone on the Irish forum is getting regions showing.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 20:45 GMT (UK) »

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 20:57 GMT (UK) »
I got an email about this today, with regards to my husband's reported 43% Irish heritage. When I clicked on the ethnicity report, it was exactly the same as before, with no added regions at all.

He certainly hasn't got 43% Irish and Scottish heritage, his great grandfather and possibly his ancestors, were from Ireland. By my reckoning that's about 12.5% Irish.

Mind you, they do have the caveat when clicking for further details 'Range 0 - 43%' so I can't complain!!

His other 57 %, England, Wales & Northwestern Europe, on clicking says 'Range 57% - 88%' - the 88% sounds just about right.

Still a way to go.

Regards Margaret

I had an e-mail too (previously 55% Eng, Wales and NW Europe and 45% Ireland and Scotland). It told me I was up to date but no Irish regions only a 37-54% range.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 January 19 00:54 GMT (UK) »
I've got 98% Ireland and Scotland which before was given as Connacht and Munster but has changed to Central Ireland divided into 4 regions and Leinster with one region. Which is a big improvement and makes a lot more sense given what I know of my famlies.
My 2% England,Wales and North Western Europe doesn't have regions.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 January 19 04:59 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps it is only for testers with predominantly Irish heritage then.

There is a sort of breakdown for -
England, Wales & Northwestern Europe 57% > Northern England and the Midlands > West Midlands and North West England.

What about his great grandmother and her ancestors, all from Somerset?
What about his great grandfather and his ancestors, mainly from Kent (his only acknowledgement of SE ancestry!!)

Ireland and Scotland has no breakdown at all, just says 43%, range 0 - 43%, nothing else.

My own ethnicity estimate regional breakdown is
England, Wales & Northwestern Europe 94% > Devon and Cornwall, South East England

Plus Ireland and Scotland 3%, Norway 3%

No known ancestors from Devon or Cornwall, perhaps Wiltshire is included in this.
I have a 4G grandfather reportedly born Cork, Ireland, none from Scotland.

As I said, a long way still to go, if ever. Still mainly for amusement, and click bait for potential testers.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 January 19 16:33 GMT (UK) »
I have 10% Ireland in the most recent update, and I haven't been given any further breakdown.

My husband has 29% Ireland in his, and it gives Leinster.  He has a 2x-great-grandmother who is known to be from Co. Carlow, so that fits.  He has another 2x-great-grandmother who had 2 brothers in Dublin at the time of her obituary, but I'm not sure if she was from there.  He has other Irish ancestors from an unknown area, and one who was from Co. Galway/Co. Mayo area.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 January 19 17:11 GMT (UK) »
It depends though, doesn’t it, on others who have tested?
I have an English parent and an Irish parent.
I have to date, no known Scottish ancestors.

My results show 62% Ireland and Scotland
Connacht
North Connacht
North Mayo
North East Mayo
I would say this is definitely correct.

England, Wales and North Western Europe 38%
Northern England and the Midlands
Wales and the West Midlands
My ancestors to date, are Lancashire with migration from Staffordshire (including Worcestershire) and Suffolk.

I have 450+ - 4th cousins or closer.
Looking at 2nd and 3rd cousin matches 22 show Connacht and most 4th cousins do.
3 of my 2nd and 3rd cousins are, I know, Northern England matches  but
they  are based in US. Very few 4th cousin matches are matched through Northern England.

This tells me that most of my matches are people who have tested in US because of immigration from North East Mayo to Scranton, Pennsylvania initially and more widespread thereafter.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk