Author Topic: 73 new Irish regions on Ancestry DNA  (Read 1599 times)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
73 new Irish regions on Ancestry DNA
« on: Wednesday 16 January 19 11:48 GMT (UK) »
"We’re continually developing our DNA science to ensure it remains as accurate and detailed as possible. With 73 new regions in Ireland taking it to a total of 92, we’ve brought even more detail to your results.

This update may connect you to additional new regions or migration stories, so make sure to check it out. Also, why not delve into our family history records to see what you can discover?"

https://blogs.ancestry.co.uk/ancestry/2019/01/09/launch-new-dna-regions-ireland/

The regions that I got tied in with what I'd already managed to ascertain from genealogical work and my matches so it does look like there is a fair degree of accuracy.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 73 new Irish regions on Ancestry DNA
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Just checked mine and yes finally they have shifted me across the country to Leinster (which didn't appear to exist earlier).
They also show you how many matches you have in each region and list them.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sinann, yes the number of matches in each area is an interesting feature - although for me it's just two adjacent regions so not particularly useful for separating out different lines. Ireland now has far better coverage now than England, Wales and NW Europe which has only 10 regions, I presume these are also being worked on so should get more accurate in the not too distant future.

Offline samhuzz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 March 19 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if mine is accurate, it just says North Munster and mine were from Portumna area. Strangely, my mum's says North Munster, North Tipperary, East Limerick and East Clare!
Towers Leicestershire
Pollard Cornwall
Willoughby Oxfordshire
Whatton Staffordshire/Leicestershire
Knifton Leicestershire/Nottinghamshire
Burke Galway
Moran Galway
Tuohy Galway
Costello Galway