Author Topic: Martin McMahon - Moveen, County Clare  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Matt Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Martin McMahon - Moveen, County Clare
« on: Wednesday 16 January 19 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am trying to find out some more detail about this particular ancestor and his direct heritage.
I know that he was married to Mary Frawley in 1857
The Kilkee Parish provided the following
Martin McMahon,  Moveen married to  Mary Frawley, Kilkee  04.02.1857

They stated that it is likely that Moyata Parish might have more records for Martin and that there are no records of Frawley that match, with very few Frawley's on the books, meaning she may have moved there (ugh!).

They emigrated to Australia sometime in 1857 after their marriage as they had a child in Tower Hill, Victoria, Australia that same year.

His death certificate doesn't give his parents name (he died in Killarney, Victoria, Australia, 1897)
I have seen his birth year as being 1822/1824/1826 in different MyHeritage family trees (though 1822-1823 matches up with his death certificate which notes he was 64 when he passed).

I have also seen his parents listed in his family tree a few times as follows, but I have not seen any documents confirming this.
Thomas McMahon of Kilfearagh, Clare, Ireland (1790-?)
Maria McMahon (born Curtin) (birth place unknown) (1???-18??)

I know this might be a stretch to find anything, but my DNA results just come back and most of my strongest results all go up through this line and my Ancestry shows 56% coming from Ireland the the majority seems to be all around Munster, so it has really pushed this particular lineage high up on the priority for me.

Any pointers that can help me confirm more details about Martin and his family would be really appreciated, I know it is a long shot one you get to these timelines and particularly as the surname (and forename) is quite prominent in that region, but I appreciate any assistance in advance.

Regard
Matt

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Matt Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Martin McMahon - Moveen, County Clare
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for those links, I had seen the first one, but I could not really make a lot of it out, but also it is passed the date I am searching, though I do appreciate regardless.

I haven't yet found anything in the 2nd link that has stood out, but I will keep going through each link.

Also, as a random reference, in an article written about when Charlotte Bronte stayed at the West End in 1854, there was a reference to a Lady O'Brien talking about her stay there
Lady O'Brien added:
That there was a
Mary Frawley who was a Kitchen Maid and was Very Good.

With a population of less than 2,000 in that time I believe and not many Frawley's on the parish books, that is probably his future wife, which is interesting, but still doesn't give a lot of information to help track him (or even her) down.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 18:25 GMT (UK) »
The first Link says were early records are!

1836 - 1900

Clare Heritage and Genealogical Centre

Database: commissioned research only

So....not online!

Offline Matt Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Sorry yes I thought I had replied to that as well, but I must not have copied and pasted properly from the notepad I was using.

In essence i was going to say there are records there I can't search unfortunately

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 18:30 GMT (UK) »
No problem!