Author Topic: Tower Hamlets Cemetery plot reference  (Read 1791 times)

Offline Ouse who

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Tower Hamlets Cemetery plot reference
« on: Wednesday 16 January 19 19:33 GMT (UK) »
I am awaiting a reply from the busy FoTHC volunteers regarding visiting the cemetery shortly.  In anticipation of that, I wonder if someone here could answer a question please.

B333 in the remarks column of the cemetery Daybook of Burials presumably is the plot number of the deceased, so could anyone tell me what it says about the type of grave and where it might be on the published grid?

The same letter and number appears after several other entries on the same page. The number of the deceased is 1630.

O.
Bedfordshire: Albone, Brightman, Bowler, Hutchings, Islip, Johnson, Kidman,  Maynard, Pugh, Purser, Sharman, Thickpenny, Underwood, Young.
Devon: Banston, Blunt, Fisher, May, Parnell, Palmer, Rundle, Saunders.
Monmouthshire: Blunt

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tower Hamlets Cemetery plot reference
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 January 19 05:43 GMT (UK) »
I can't begin to match the expertise of FoTHC, but I do have a few hundred photos I took a while back and if you provide the names here or by PM, I will check through my index.

As you may be aware, what an FoTHC page on the web euphemistically describes as "an abundance of vegetation" may better be phrased as "hopelessly overgrown" and it's rarely possible to see graves other than those beside the paths, which will have been for those who could afford to pay. So while it's an interesting place to visit, be prepared for disappointment in your search for specific graves.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline Ouse who

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 January 19 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Chris,

Thank you for your interest. The entries I am referring to are for my wife's gt gt gt grandmother Rhoda Bowler Oliver, one of the victims of the Kentish Town Railway accident 2 September 1861. Charles Standing another victim precedes her in the index register. I haven't checked but suspect that other victims are buried nearby in the cemetery.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=552780.0

Kind regards, O.
Bedfordshire: Albone, Brightman, Bowler, Hutchings, Islip, Johnson, Kidman,  Maynard, Pugh, Purser, Sharman, Thickpenny, Underwood, Young.

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 January 19 06:05 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, no luck with any of the dead on your other post.

The only Oliver grave I have, just in case they're yours, is for:-
Joseph Oliver d 27-May-1879 a 60 (husband) d reg Mile End
Ann Oliver d 9-Jul-1883 a 57 (wife) d reg Mile End
Alice Oliver d 19-Mar-1893 a 33 (daughter) d reg Kensington (says age 32)

Looking through my photos, I'm afraid I didn't find any clues which would help your search. There are a few 1860s graves scattered around, but I didn't come across any solid area at that era. I came across one area off the path strewn with the miniature gravestones typical of common graves, but from the WW1 area onwards. As is frequently the case when these stones have been disturbed by growth of vegetation, they were scattered around randomly. If, as seems likely, the accident victims are in common graves, I advise taking a list with every name in every possible grave, as only a few people in such graves got headstones.

Very few gravestones I saw had numbers, and an FoTHC page says graves are rarely consecutively placed, so I don't think the number will help unless FoTHC have a plot map. Though I have seen other people mention prefix letters, the numbers I found on stones didn't have them; the cemetery plan on the gate divides the cemetery into a grid of numbered squares.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Chris
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline Ouse who

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 January 19 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Chris,

Thank you for a very informative and helpful response.

I will indeed take the details of the other victims of the rail accident with me when I visit the cemetery.

Kind regards, O.

Offline nicky 84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 November 19 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,
I'm new here so excuse me if I do anything wrong :)
I am planning a visit to the Tower Hamlets cemetery park to pay my respects to ancestors and clean them up if need be .
I have found information on one as she has a private grave where as the others I don't think had .
My question is , would you have any information on this one at all as I did see most of the memorials can not be read so trying to do homework .
Lady I want to find is " Emma Ann Murrell " , buried 27th November 1924
Age 47
P1490 

Thank you for any help at all , Nicky

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 November 19 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, Nicky, no Murrells in my photos and no clue as to how section P relates to the square numbers I mentioned above. I recommend you contact FoTHC for advice before you go. The only consolation I can offer is that the vegetation should have died down a bit by this time of year!

Good luck, Chris

Offline nicky 84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 November 19 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking Chris !
I thought maybe P for plot ... I’m a novice lol

I’ve emailed THCP and will look for my ancestors not in a private plot now - Elizabeth Holmes - she has a very sad but interesting story that I will share with the park if I can find her .

Appreciate your time 😊

Offline Ouse who

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 November 19 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Eleven months on from my OP I am still getting an automatic reply to my FOTHCP enquiry. Clearly the volunteers are still dealing with enquiries made before January 2019.

Thank you for your enquiry. Enquiries are as a rule answered in the order we receive them and due to the release of the Cemetery Registers on Ancestry our number of enquiries have substantially increased. Depending on the complexity of the enquiry and the availability of volunteers, it may take some time to respond we will endeavour to answer them as soon as we can.

D K
Trustee, Volunteer and Heritage Lead
Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park

Kind regards, O.