Author Topic: Daniel Nunn of Burgate, Suffolk b. circa 1840  (Read 1355 times)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
Daniel Nunn of Burgate, Suffolk b. circa 1840
« on: Thursday 17 January 19 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Desperately seeking anyone with Nunn's in their family.

I started my search for my husband's family a couple of years ago, he sadly passed away last March and I am determined to carry on in his memory.  Focusing on his maternal line the Nunn's of Suffolk. His mother Betty b. 1923 died when he was 9 and he knew little of her family. Her father Richard Nunn  b. 1875 Chesterfield, Derbyshire was son of Daniel from Suffolk the subject of my search . Trying to make sense of Daniel's  2 marriages and children is not easy.

Daniel born around 1840's  Burgate on 1851 census living Burgate  with widowed mother Mary. 1871 living in Chesterfield with Widow Rosanna Buck formerly Warne of Sufffolk  and her children Sarah Ann Buck  b.1860 Wrotham, Suffolk  and Thomas b. 1862. Daniel  married Rosanna in Derbyshire 1872. Rosanna dies around 1877/9 having given him 2 children Samuel 1872 and Richard 1875 the father of Betty. 

Now comes the problem. I think Daniel re-married his stepdaughter Sarah Ann Buck but for some reason she had taken her mother's name of Warne. In 1881 was lodging with a Sarah Warne born in Wrotham, unmarried , with her 2 children Harriet Warne 1879 and Florrie Warne 1880  and his 2 sons Samuel and Richard.  1884 Daniel marries a Sarah Warne.

I think Sarah Warne is Sarah Buck and that her children Harriet and Florrie are children of  Daniel Nunn.  However I can find nothing to back up any of this.  Just a gut instinct.

I hope this makes sense and I would sure appreciate any help from some fresh eyes.

Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Nunn of Burgate, Suffolk b. circa 1840
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 January 19 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Ann Buck was actually born as Sarah Ann Warne in Dec.qtr.1859 Hartismere - her parents Thomas and Rozanna didn't marry until Mar.qtr.1860 Hartismere.   So, although brought up as 'Buck' her legal surname was actually Warne - so when she married Daniel as 'Warne' that was exactly correct (and yes, she was clearly his step-daughter).

Rosannah Nunn's death reg'd Mar.qtr.1877 Chesterfield so I would agree that Harriet and Florrie were almost certainly Daniel Nunn's children.

As to Daniel Nunn - he was older than you say.   He was baptised 25/6/1837 Burgate, Suffolk son of Richard and Mary.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 January 19 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annette that brilliant and confirms what I was guessing and hoping. I actually had the birth earlier for Daniel but took his age from census, never a good idea because it does vary a lot.

I find it a bit unsettling that he should marry his step-daughter but stranger things have happened in my line.

I knew a fresh pair of eyes would help, sometime I think I have covered all bases but  I miss the obvious.
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline Tiegan Jones

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 December 22 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello. I'm late for this forum and I'm unsure if you'll even see this but I'm a descendant of the Derbyshire Nunns, therefore a distant relative of your husband. My great grandfather Alan Peter Hall was the son of Ethel Mary Nunn who I believe to have been born Mary Ellen Nunn but for some reason changed her name. Mary/Ethel was the granddaughter of Daniel and Sarah through their son George Nunn, my great great great grandad. George was born in Chesterfield in 1887 and by the 1901 census was still living with Daniel and Sarah but by then, Richard and Samuel were no longer at the residence. George and Richard were half siblings, making my 3x great grandad your husband's great uncle and your husband and I distant cousins. You have found a distant relative of your husband's family