Author Topic: Colonial Potapsco Baltimore Maryland  (Read 773 times)

Offline Bay89

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Colonial Potapsco Baltimore Maryland
« on: Thursday 17 January 19 12:37 GMT (UK) »
John Bay was Born pre1661 and died by Jan 23 1700. I'm trying to figure out when he arrived to the colonies, as well as what kind of operation he was running for why hes mentioned in the Maryland tax records with the following names. Were they investors or partners? Would there be any clues as to his ancesteral origin by looking at the names of the men hes listed with? Or the area he was residing?

I'm clueless as to how I can obtain a birth or baptismal record for him..? I've been searching for 3 years off and on.

From what I can gather John Bay is first is recorded in the 1694 taxes in Maryland, in the South Side of the Potapsco Hundred along with Ralph Barrow and 3 slaves.

By 1695 he has moved and is taxed in the North Side Potapsco Hundred with William Peart and Thomas Smith.

In 1699 he is still in the North Side of Potapsco Hundred, listed with William Pervill, Thomas Lact, Robert Carvil, Robert TaylorandEdward Stivenson.

His estate was inventories in Baltimore MD just after his death in the year 1700.
His wife was Ruth but no mention of a maiden name for her.

As far as I know they had one son also John Bay born abt. 1682 died circa 1739. He married Elizabeth.

He is initially shown in the 1703 Baltimore Testamentary Proceedings as maintained in the Maryland State Archives to be holding 6 acres in Baltimore.
He is in the 1706 Baltimore County taxes in the Northside of Potapsco Hundred along with.
  Capt. Rich. Colegate, Martin Wolff, William Nelson and 3 slaves.

...Then there is a prolonged hiatus from the records. John is next shown in the Baltimore County, MD Tax List of 1737 in the Upper Hundred of Patapsco with John Shaw (his son-in-law) and a.
Thomas Shaw. That the 1737 tax record refers specifically to him is supported when in 1739 his assigned son, going by the name of John Bays 'Jr', is shown as the administrator of the Baltimore County estate of Christopher Shaw.

John and Elizabeth had sons
 John Bay Jr 1701-1742+;
Thomas Bay  @1703-@1746;
Frances Bay ©1713-1749+
^^^ Brothers, John Bay Jr. & Thomas Bay moved to Orange County Virginia around 1739.

Does anybody here have any connections or info on these peticular names residing in the same locations?

BAY; Bayes;Bays

Offline usaPetticrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Colonial Potapsco Baltimore Maryland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 January 19 13:50 GMT (UK) »
It's hard to add to the research you have already done.  One thing, immigration lists were not kept in those early days.  They were required by the U.S. government only from 1820 on.

A timeline might be informative. 
https://www.genealogyblog.com/?p=39725
Early Maryland Timeline, 1629-1715

https://www.prattlibrary.org/locations/maryland/index.aspx?id=4901
Genealogical Research in the Maryland Department.
They have an Ask-A-Librarian service, listed at the bottom of the page.
Petticrew, Pettigrew, Bedigrew, and all variants.