Author Topic: Annotating digital family photos  (Read 2400 times)

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Annotating digital family photos
« on: Thursday 17 January 19 14:59 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for advice please.   I have scanned all our old family photos and although the back of most hardcopies has a note of who is in the photo, I would like to somehow store this info with the digital copy too.  Pics of one or two are OK as can be just put in file name, but that's not practical for groups.   Does any one has a solution for this that gives flexibility not just for me, abu anyone I share the photo with?

Andrew

Online familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Annotating digital family photos
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 January 19 15:35 GMT (UK) »
If they're jpgs and it's a windows machine then tags work, it's what I've done for mine.
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 January 19 16:30 GMT (UK) »
some image software allows for keywords, what sort of software do you use ?

Also it is worth giving some thought to the filenames that you are choosing to save your images as, saving as "jonesjayneeric1952bogner.jpeg" may help you.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 January 19 16:30 GMT (UK) »
One way to do it is to increase the height of the image and add the names to the white space created.
A second way is to add a second manipulated image such as this.

http://anguline.co.uk/Ryder_Family.jpg

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 January 19 16:58 GMT (UK) »
That's how I do it, create a white border and write the name/s, date and place if known and create a folder each surname.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 January 19 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Windows image files also have a 'Comments' section which can be accessed by right-clicking on the file and selecting Properties. I use this for storing extra information, but I don't know if this can be accessed from other operating systems  :-\
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 January 19 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all for the responses.  I had a look at the tagging and comments, but I like idea of creating whitespace and annotating really for the benefit of others who I share the family tree with.

That's how I do it, create a white border and write the name/s, date and place if known and create a folder each surname.
Carol
One way to do it is to increase the height of the image and add the names to the white space created.

Cheers
Guy

The annotated small picture below the main is ideal for groups.  Can I ask how you do this ?   Do you use Photoshop or similar ?

Thanks again

Andrew 

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 January 19 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Andrew, look into "image metadata" or EXIF data. It is a technique or facility for storing specific data within the package for each photograph. For example a modern camera will contain a GPS receiver which will actually incorporate data into each image showing exactly where on the planet you were standing when you took the photograph, as well as the technical photo specifications, such as focal length and brightness. If you are photographing or scanning old photographs it will typically just include the details of where you were when you did the work. Typically that will be your home so it is something to be aware of. Many photo management software applications will contain a facility to show you that data, or there are specific programs that will do it specially for you.

Martin

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 January 19 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all for the responses.  I had a look at the tagging and comments, but I like idea of creating whitespace and annotating really for the benefit of others who I share the family tree with.

Carol

Cheers
Guy

The annotated small picture below the main is ideal for groups.  Can I ask how you do this ?   Do you use Photoshop or similar ?

Thanks again

Andrew 

Yes I use Photoshop but many graphics programs allow the same features.

To title a portrait or single image it is simply a case of increasing the "paper" or canvas size (height) then typing the title in place using the graphics program text feature.
For the annotated small picture I copied the original picture, resized it then pasted blank circles where the faces were, I then "flattened" the image to get rid of the layers and numbered the blank circles.
It was then simply a case of adding names to the indexed numbers.

The advantage of adding names under the image or adding an additional annotated small picture comes when printed copies of the pictures are distributed rather than digital copies as the annotations can always be seen unless cut off.

It is not always obvious to many people when an image includes metadata.

Cheers
Guy

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.