Author Topic: Margaret Lawson bc 1869 Kinfauns  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Lawson bc 1869 Kinfauns
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 January 19 15:17 GMT (UK) »
So what you appear to be saying Forfarian is that Margaret H H Robertson was in reality Lawson not Robertson at 1881?
I've looked for the Kinfauns kirk session minutes on one site and it said:

Sheriff Court paternity decrees
Single mothers often took the fathers of their children to court for child support. Such cases were known as filiation and aliment cases. The court could order the father to provide maintenance payments to the mother. If the mother won her case, the court would issue a decree, which would allow the mother to enforce payment of aliment. We have indexed all the records of such cases held by the National Records of Scotland from at least 1855 to 1880, and can provide digital images of the records. To order your copy, simply click on the Order now link in the table below.
We have not currently found any decrees for this parish!
So no answers there?
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 January 19 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Sandra according to another tree on MH Alexander's parents were John Mckay, Mary Mckay (born Davidson) but as not directly related to me I've not gone further back.
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 January 19 16:18 GMT (UK) »
So what you appear to be saying Forfarian is that Margaret H H Robertson was in reality Lawson not Robertson at 1881?
I am saying that the child listed as Margaret Lawson in the 1881 census is the one whose birth was registered as Margaret Haldane Henderson Robertson in 1870. It's not a case of 'reality' or a case of one name being 'correct' and the other incorrect'.

I've looked for the Kinfauns kirk session minutes on one site and it said: Sheriff Court paternity decrees .....
I think I know which site you must be referring to. If so, it is a very useful site whose owners have been making available online the results of paternity cases from records of proceedings in the courts of law, and it deals only with cases which got taken forward for legal action. However it is most emphatically not not the same thing as the Kirk Session records. 

The Kirk Sessions were concerned with two things. First, a fundamentally doomed effort to stamp out sin in the form of fornication, which they did by trying to shame and humiliate those caught out sinning. Second, ensuring that illegitimate children did not become a charge on the parish. In most cases, the errant father admitted paternity and that was sufficient.

In some cases, however, a man accused of being the father of a child would stick to his denial, and in a few of those cases the mother took the case to court, usually to win the legal right to have the child's maintenance paid for. Those are the paternity cases referred to on the site you have found.

The records of the Kirk Sessions are held in the National Records of Scotland and as I have said they can be accessed there or in some other local archives. They have been digitised but they have not yet been made available online, though I understand that there are plans to make them available eventually via Scotland's People.

I checked the catalogue of the National Records of Scotland at www.nrscotland.gov.uk and I see that the Kinfauns Kirk Session minutes for the period in question have survived. Whether they actually contain information about Bathia Robertson's illegitimate children I cannot say without looking at the actual documents.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 19 January 19 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian for helping me to now know who Margaret Lawson really was at 1881.
As to the Kinfauns kirk sessions minutes I had a look at that site you quoted and found lots of kirk sessions but none for Kirkfauns.
Cr

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 January 19 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian for helping me to now know who Margaret Lawson really was at 1881.
As to the Kinfauns kirk sessions minutes I had a look at that site you quoted and found lots of kirk sessions but none for Kirkfauns.

Go to catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/search.aspx

Enter CH2/582 in the second box, the one labelled 'Reference', and search.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 January 19 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Did that Forfarian but didn't get to see the minutes as it looks as though you have to do it in person at their computer in the Reid Room?
Cr

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 19 January 19 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Did that Forfarian but didn't get to see the minutes as it looks as though you have to do it in person at their computer in the Reid Room?
Yes, that is what I told you in Reply #8 and Reply #11 above.  You either have to go to General Register House in Edinburgh, or to one of a small number of archives in Scotland who have a link to Edinburgh, and view the kirk session records on one of their terminals.

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 20 January 19 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Well that's the end of that then, Forfarian, I don't live in Scotland and am not planning to go there any time soon. Thank you for finding out about it.
Cr

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Headstone Inscription for George Robertson and Margaret Haldane Henderson with write up.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/135764893/george-robertson

This may be the grandson William Ritchie mentioned on the above?

RITCHIE WILLIAM & DEMPSTER KATE
366/ 1 Kinfauns

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"