Author Topic: Another Ancestry Feature?  (Read 4569 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: Another Ancestry Feature?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 18 January 19 14:08 GMT (UK) »
its a fact we like to Moan.. the royal we that is

xin

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 18 January 19 14:27 GMT (UK) »
This sort of issue comes up frequently on RootsChat, and I have to wonder why people continue to have their trees on Ancestry when the site evidently creates so many problems :-\

Carol

So I have mine on Genes Reunited, which I've certainly moaned about in the past. Being a British site they do suggest British placenames - but unfortunately their software keeps suggesting the post-1974 counties and districts. This seems inappropriate, as there are very few people on my tree born after 1974 - so I just correct to the "old" counties which would apply at the time.

I export my tree to Ancestry every so often. I must check and see if they've been Americanising my placenames.
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 18 January 19 14:37 GMT (UK) »
I've just checked my small direct line (DNA) tree on Ancestry and find that, bless their little cotton socks, their software has put all of them in the right places on the the maps  8)

Added - using the Lifestory option
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 18 January 19 14:51 GMT (UK) »
I've just checked, and they haven't altered any of mine that I can see - not even the ones where I've goven a PoB as plain Birmingham without adding Warwickshire
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 18 January 19 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I do find this whole thing quite amusing

Latest changes based on what Ancestry thinks is the right address and oddly the place name vanishes from the search

Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 18 January 19 16:21 GMT (UK) »
I've just checked, and they haven't altered any of mine that I can see - not even the ones where I've goven a PoB as plain Birmingham without adding Warwickshire

Chris ~

I had an ancestor who died in Aston.  I originally put Aston, Birmingham, Warwickshire, England . It was there, just like that, in the details/facts but not on the map. I took out England  but still not on his map. I took out Aston as well and, lo, there he was with a little black grave stone stuck in Birmingham, Warwickshire.

Gadget 

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 18 January 19 16:26 GMT (UK) »

As I've tried to explain a number of times in the past:
Ancestry don't change anything! That's easy to check by looking at the profile of people in your tree.

What HAS changed is the interpretation of the placename, and how it is displayed.
Placenames in other people's trees will be displayed according to what data they have input.

It's very easy to stop: simply add the relevant country name to all place names on your tree.

I have no idea about DNA maps, however.
I don't sully myself with DNA nonsense ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 18 January 19 16:29 GMT (UK) »
I am sure that there was a thread where people being 'the Royal we' moaned at seemingly irrelevant hints or search results that related to people of the same name and age but showed American places.

Maybe we now know why.

Interestingly FTM allows one to create new place names but I believe that the US servers will only match to what they think is correct.

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 18 January 19 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Kevin - have you not got any DNA, then :)

The maps are available for any of your trees on Ancestry - just click on Lifestory on any of your ancestors;  That's what I was referring too.

Gadget

Added - I referred to DNA as I have a tree linked to my test results. It's just like an ordinary Ancestry tree.  8)